Manuela792, Home Buyer in 55346

We liked a house that has old heating and air conditioning systems (1979) that probably will need to be changed. Do you know how much it will cost?

Asked by Manuela792, 55346 Sat Jul 3, 2010

We liked a house that has old heating and air conditioning systems (1979) that probably will need to be changed. Do you know how much it will cost? I know that you can't give me exact cost, but I would be happy to know approximate price. We just want to consider it before submitting an offer. Also do you have any idea how much it will cost adding fences and brand new landscape. Thank you very much in advance.

Answers

8
Manuela,

If you call several HVAC dealers/servicers, you will notice that the price ranges will be across the board. I have had 3 furnaces replaced this year (80% efficiency), and I paid $1,300-$1,500 each (removal of old one, new furnace, and install). A/C will be close to that as well. If you want the contact information for my heating and air guys. Let me know.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 5, 2010
Jason Hagen: 612 281-6548 (Wwner of improved heating). He installs and he is a dealer, and the prices are unbeatable.
Hey, great, Scott! I'd like you to share the name of that contractor here!!! I think many contractors are working for less these days just to have some work! Thanks and I hope it helps Manuela.
Check with a heating contractor for an exact price, for the fencing, and landscaping, it will be much less expensive if you can do it yourself.
You need to call a local HVAC company to get your estimate. They can price air and heat

We price homes for sale and rent. It's allways best to go to the expert! by asking this question, you might get a referral, or you can pick up the yellow pages.

Debbie Albert, PA
Coldwell Banker Residential
Web Reference: http://www.ronanddebbie.net
You should definitely be able to replace your heating and air conditioning for under 10K. I am going to guess more like 5K for the furnace and 3.5K for the AC. You should be able to get high efficiency appliances for this cost. I would always recommend getting the high efficiency appliances as well for the long term benefits of energy savings, as well as the added value for resale.
You are wise to try to figure this replacement cost into your offer price, even if you decide to hold off on replacement for a while. Have you also considered asking the sellers to escrow for the replacement?(therefore you would get the appliances replaced right away)
There are also rebates out there for replacing these old appliances with high efficiency ones. Here is an example: http://www.xcelenergy.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/docs/CRS-0…
In terms of your second questions about adding a new fence and landscaping, there is going to be a huge variation in costs depending what you install as well as the size of your yard, how many running feet of fence you want, etc. You could go broke on landscaping, however, if you are looking for simple yard cleanup like new sod/simple fencing/perhaps some grading, you might use a figure like 10-12K for the purpose of offer negotiation. Hope this helps.
Adam Duckwall, Realtor
Web Reference: http://www.adamduckwall.com
Hi, Manuela!
My rough estimate to have BOTH done at the same time would be between $6000-$10,000 depending on how fancy you want to get.

But, here's the thing, you could get by without having to shell out that money right away. Both Center Point and and X-Cel energy offer home warranties on your furnace and air conditioning. The fee for the warranty is added on to your monthly bill (somewhere between $11-$20 a month). That way, they will be available most of the time to come and repair those items at no charge. And, there's also a package that would replace those items if they cannot be repaired. It might give you peace of mind to know you don't have to fork over a large amount of money in one lump sum.

By the way, what does you agent say?

Keep us posted to let us know what you decide.
Often you will find there is under a 10 year payback from heating bills being reduced. Perhaps 5 years or so. That means even if the price is high for replacement it really is low.

I have read that a/c also can pay for itself in a reasonable length of time as the new is so efficient compared to the old. Also, the new refrigerants are cheap and the old is both expensive and not legal to make more of. That means it will cost more in the years ahead to repair and recharge if needed.

Also, different houses have different BTU needs for the hvac. The best thing is to ask a retailer and installer near you what it would cost. They should give a free quote. The difference in size of equipment needed could mean thousands of $$$ difference. PLUS the quality and warranty involved is likely to bring prices higher.