Remodel & Renovate in 60657>Question Details

bbb1962bbb, Renter in Chicago, IL

We have roaches and landlord does nothing can I legally move out without give her my 45 day notice? I am in wisconsin

Asked by bbb1962bbb, Chicago, IL Thu Jan 31, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


Alvin Dobbs’ answer
You have plenty of remedies that you can use prior to having to move.
Depending on which town you are in, the level of enforcement is different in different counties, Wisconsin has some of the best laws for tenants in the country. With that being said-it depends on what your goal really is. If you are looking just get out or do you want the "quiet enjoyment" of the unit you are in. I will assume that you are looking to stay.
First, write a letter to the landlord explaining the conditions.Give him/her a time limit to fix the issue. Send the letter return receipt requested. The post office can show you what I mean. Second, the second after the time limit expires, contact the local housing officials, health department, and city inspectors. They can and will force the landlord to fix or remedy any health or safety issues. Contact them by phone and later by letter. If this does not solve the problem. Then it is time to contact the lawyers. They can tell you how to withhold rent or the procedures you need to follow to terminate the lease.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 31, 2013
Yikes, get an attorney to help you find a way out. You must tell your landlord, hopefully you let him/her know in writing?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 6, 2013
Read over your lease and talk to your landlord to find a remedy. If that fails contact your attorney or the local housing authority.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 4, 2013
I would have your attorney read your lease. I am more familliar with Chicago. Tenants are very well protected in Chicago.

Best of luck,

Ivan Sagel
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 31, 2013
Dear bbb1962bbb,

I did a little research it turns out Wisconsin does have provisions for tenant rights. Please see . Also you can call the Wisconsin Toll Free number at (800) 422-7128. I highly recommend speaking to someone in your state's agency and remember to write down the name and date of the person you speak with.

Best of luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 31, 2013
If your place has unfit living conditions you can use that as a early termination. But you must check with your lawyer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 31, 2013
What does the lease say, when it comes to pests and were the roaches there prior to you moving in?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 31, 2013
when i got the lease it said under pest control but we did everything over the phone I did not know this till I had the truck at the door while i was singing the lease and just had to take the place as we had no where else to go i have severe asthma and she has an exterminator come once a month but I cant have them do my place as I also have a pet and a 3 year old child we need to leave apartment for 4 hoursand thats not what we can do
Flag Thu Jan 31, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer