Glvandwtv, Home Owner in Great Falls, MT

We have one room that used to have a window that lead outside, but now goes into the garage. Any restrictions on calling it an office?

Asked by Glvandwtv, Great Falls, MT Wed Sep 14, 2011

The garage was attached at a later date, and that window now just leads right into it. We recently did some remodeling to our finished basement, but I assume this room cannot be called a "bedroom" due to lack of window to outside. Are there any specifications on what can be called an "office" or "den" in Great Falls, MT?

Answers

1

I have never heard of any specificationsfor calling a room an office or den but you are right about calling it a bedroom. You can actually call it a bedroom but should specify it is non-conforming. One other thought comes to mind when you say the garage was added later. Is it sheetrocked between house and addition? If not it is not a proper fire wall and will need to be finished off for safety. As long as it is mud and taped it should be fine as I have never had an appraisal call for it to be completely finished but that isn't to say it couldn't happen. I am not a certified inspector nor appraiser and this advice is from past experience. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions please feel free to call me at 231-0520.

Melaine Loy
Broker/Owner Real Estate Salutions of Great Falls
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011