Remodel & Renovate in 49417>Question Details

Rhonda, Other/Just Looking in Grand Haven, MI

We have an old house built in the 70's. It is all brick. Would it look funny adding another level?

Asked by Rhonda, Grand Haven, MI Sun Jun 24, 2012

House was built by my husbands grandma and grandpa. It is a very nice house. But just worried it would look funny with another level added on. Lower the appraisal, if we sell. Advice please.

Answers

4
Hi Rhonda,

The fact that you are asking the question suggests that you are not comfortable with adding a second story that does not match the first story brick course. It is difficult to know without seeing the property, however, i would tell you to trust your own instinct and ask for advise from someone in the industry that you TRUST. Please, don't ask a contractor that you just met to make this decision....trust your own eye!

Thank for Asking!!

Liz Huls
616-844-8371
http://www.listtrue.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 2, 2013
Hi Rhonda,

I am the Director of Sales for Bos Homes, we have an on staff Architect and a fantastic renovations team. There are several brick homes that have siding integrated into their design that look great, it is all about working with the current design. You can reach me at 616-581-2241 if your would like to discuss your plans further.

Meg
Totally depends on how good of a job the architect/builder does on the addition. Also, the makeup of the other houses will determine if it will look "funny" or not.
My advice is to fInd a good architect in your area. It is possible to have a stunning home by adding a second level. Foucs on a style that will fit with the rest of your neighborhood and do not overbuild the square footage.