Remodel & Renovate in 29205>Question Details

Jones416, Other/Just Looking in 29205

We have a Florida room with jalousie windows with a vent going to it. Would it be a good investment to enclose the room with real windows?

Asked by Jones416, 29205 Tue Jan 26, 2010

It would be more usable space, but wouldn't add any extra square footage.

Answers

7
I think that where you live, it would probably be a good idea to get better windows. Then it wouldn't be such a concern during more stormy seasons. I actually have a sister in that area, and she has storm windows. Then they don't have to worry about anything getting damaged when there is more extreme weather. It might be a good idea to look into that to see if you would like to upgrade to those! http://www.2seal.com
We live in Ohio and have a screen-in porch that we love. I practically live out there in the summertime-- but when it rains (usually with some wind), the wicker furniture cushions, floor, and indoor/outdoor jute type area rug, all get soaked. We tried plexiglass storm windows, but that was barely satisfactory in the winter months, and not at all during the other three months. We have finally decided something must be done. . . but I was asking the impossible --keep the rain out, but allow me to enjoy the sound and smell of the rain during mild thunderstorms and showers, and still get continual maximum air flow and breezes,and have screens to keep out the insects at night. Today, I think I finally hit on the best option--Jenn Weld fiberglass open out doors with Phantom screens. We are putting two sets of doors next to each, all will open out, with a double opening and screening, but with the option of only having one door open, if desired. This option seems to solve all our issues, and I can't wait to have them installed!
I wanted the room to still feel like I was outside--all the other options I looked at made the room more of a sunroom/solarium--which I find too hot and claustrophobic! I hope my years of deliberating and finding a solution will help someone else with this same
dilemma :)
I would enclose the room with real windows as you suggest. You will be proud of the room and so long as you stay there you will get all the use you want from the space--when you go to resell, it will be an updated room with new windows, not just new windows, so you may get closer to 100% of your money back out.

I say just do it.

Dane Hahn
Broker
Web Reference: http://daneandsandra.com
Jones,

Jalousie windows were the "in thing" prior to central AC. When people were trying to stay comfortable with the use of fans or by opening windows for ventilation. They are not energy efficient and leak warm/cool air excessively. From an efficency stand point, an update would both save you money and keep you more comfortable. BUT the ultimate decision is yours............
I agree with Meade. If updating the windows increases your enjoyment of the home, you should go for it, provided you don't have to stretch finances to do the improvement. I would recommend windows that can be opened (versus "picture"), so it can still be used as an outdoor room in those months we have great weather. Then in other months it will be much more energy efficient if it has dual pane versus the jalousie.

Get a detailed description from your contractor on how this is going to be done. The more window, the better, to keep the original character of the house. I have seen some done where a good bit of siding is used around and between the windows and it just doesn't look as nice.

Page Latham, Realtor
Russell and Jeffcoat Realtors, Inc.
Web Reference: http://www.pagelatham.com
Great question! As with most additions and upgrades to a home the amount you spend depends on how long you plan on being in the home. In the January 2010 Realtor Magazine they estimated the return you could expect for different home improvement projects. For South Carolina the average return on windows replacements for the entire house was between 76% and 78%. It sounds like your space is not that large and the footage may already be included in your overall square footage. If you are going to stay in the home for another 3-5 years I would probably go ahead and replace the windows. You probably only have 6 or 7 in the room and the overall investment should be no more than a few thousand dollars. I'm sure the room would be much more enjoyable while you are there. Not to mention the saving on your utility bill. Give SCE&G a call and they will evaluate your energy efficiency for a small fee. If you think you may be moving sooner, give me a call and I would be happy to take a look. Based on your zip code I'm just down the street.

Meade Coleman
Coleman & Associates, Inc.
Dear Jone416,
Deciding on whether it is a good investment to replace the windows depends on a few things.
* Are you looking to stay in the home for a while - or looking to sell soon?
* What is the cost for the work?
* What is the equity in your home - factoring in your cost for the windows would there still be equity (also considering the potential increased value.

Generally jalousie windows generate a "dated" look - so there is potential for increasing the value of your home and it saleability by upgrading the Florida room. If you're not looking to sell right away , then you and your family would enjoy the additional space and feel to the room.

I hope this information helps!

If I can help you with any real estate needs or information in the greater Charleston SC area, please contact me.

Maureen
maureen@maureencody.com
Search the MLS on my site:
http://www.screlocate.com
843-323-1013
Web Reference: http://www.screlocate.com