Question Details

Coloradosski…, Other/Just Looking in 80209

We are prepaing for our next home imporvement project. Should we get hardwood floors or stainless steel appliances?

Asked by Coloradosskier, 80209 Sun Jan 23, 2011

The kitchen already has granite and white cabinets, which are nice looking. We would do the hardwood floors throughout the main level of the home, (including replacing the hardwood already in the kitchen) about 1100 sq ft. By my estimates it would be $6,000. The appliances about $2500. What would be better home improvement value? We don't plan to sell soon, but in the future.

Answers

6
I vote for floors. Stainless appliances are nice and "all the rage" right now, but in reality, I know many people who don't care for stainless. Especially families with kids. They are hard to keep clean and show every little fingerprint.
Web Reference: http://www.sallygrenier.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 23, 2011
Hello Coloradosski!

I'm in the floors club, too.

Hardwood floors are a permanent and enduring value. The appeal holds across cultures.

If you are already in the project frame of mind, go for the hardwood floors. Adding or replacing appliances is a minimal inconvenience. With construction in a slump, you will find labor costs competitive, too, if you're not going to do the work yourself on the floors. I vote for wood floors.

Another thought: Something that changes in time - a style - is not nearly as nice. Tastes may change next year. And yes, appliance styles come and go. Because they are appliances, they have considerable use. On both counts, they are going to lose value.

The value question is a question I am asked all the time. I have friends who have lavished on upgrades. One friend has every possible gadget, spot lighting and, yes, stainless appliances, as well as plantation shutters throughout. Very attractive. But he did go over the top when he lined his garage with tile.

Another friend has replaced his hollow doors with solid doors (that he picked up for a bargain - actually a steal). And they all have replaced their carpeted stairs with hardwood. They love their homes and I enjoy seeing all the work that has been done when I visit.

As far as value is concerned, generally an entire kitchen renovation is the best improvement for recouping your investment. I'm usually advise that I would definitely do these things for my enjoyment and my family's enjoyment. If there is an advantage to be gained, it will be realized when you go to sell your home. Homes that show well move more quickly, especially in a buyer's market.

Enjoy your home.

SuZ
Hi Coloradosski,

A properly installed Hardwood floor will bring more value and beauty over the long run. The return on investment on the appliances will be hard to get on the short and long run.

Ray Garcia
617-942-0447
rghomeowners @gmail.com
Hardwood floors are what buyers in our area are looking for and they last a very long time while styles in appliances change. I would do the floors now and buy appliances closer to the time I was getting ready to sell.
I agree with Anna. Hardwood floors, in addition to being low maintenance, are a healthy alternative to carpet since it won't retain the allergens trapped in carpet fibers. Depending on the wood, wood floors are durable and long lasting (some woods are softer and show scratches as a result). But if you have old appliances, new stainless ones are energy efficient, quiet, and can reduce the amount of time and water used doing all that pre-rinsing. But if you don't plan to sell soon, base it on what you want more for your lifestyle.
Do whatever improvement will make your living there more enjoyable for you....