Remodel & Renovate in Akron>Question Details

Jim Joe, Home Buyer in Akron, OH

We are looking to buy a house in Arkon, OH. I wanted some clarity on how the square footage is calculated.

Asked by Jim Joe, Akron, OH Wed Jan 16, 2013

If the basement is finished and a walkout, can it be included in the square footage and what if the basement is a walkout but not finished. Similarly what is the case when a basement is finished and not a walkout.

Answers

4
I consider square footage to be living area, less bathrooms. Some do not add in halls either. Finished basements are not common here, so the "walk-out" the others mentioned does not often come into consideration. But I have seen substantial variation on what others measure. If you take the exterior dimensions, that gives a higher figure than if you measure inside (as you should) - on an average home just that could affect the total by 80ft2. Inclusion of bathrooms and hall could change it easily another 150ft2 or more. Do not just assume there is standardization to these figures.
Great question, In housing the square footage should be above grade, except you can add the square footage of a walk out. However within the MLS system an agent can put in different numbers based on owners opinion, tax records, ect.

More information can be found http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/measure-square-footage.htm

Also if you were to use our buyer services we provide you with a free home warranty.
Best of luck in your new home purchase
Ken Woods
330-777-0075
KenWoodsRealtor.com
Basement square footage can be counted only if it is a walkout, finished or not. If basement is finished and not a walkout we can mention it in the description but not as total sf for the home. Hope that helps, thank you. You can search for all homes for sale at my website below.
Web Reference: http://www.davidc.com
Thank you so much for your reply. Could you just let me know how much value to assign to a basement which is finished but not a walkout.
Flag Wed Jan 16, 2013
Square footage should be listed as above ground area. Basement should not be counted but others count that also if it is a split level that lower area is sometimes counted in I would be happy help please feel free to contact me chrisckaylor@gmail or 3308401073