Househunter, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

We are expanding our main SHARED bathroom. Will adding a 2nd door giving direct access from our "main" bedroom to this bathroom add value?

Asked by Househunter, Los Angeles, CA Wed Sep 15, 2010

to our home? We don't have the money or, more importantly, the room to build a "master bathroom" onto our bedroom so while this "direct access" option may be convenient and sort-of give us the master bathroom we'd like, we were curious if this would actually add value to our home given that the other door will be allowed shared access as this is our main bathroom? The 3 bedrooms all are right near this SHARED bathroom but our bedroom is the only room that shares a wall with this bathroom. Our other bathroom is on the other side of the house. FYI: We live in a 3 bed 2 bath ranch home which was built in 1951 so the rooms are fairly modest in size. Thanks for your advice!

Answers

10
Anything that will not cost an arm and a leg that adds to better access will add value, if the price is right to do it, remember equity gain is slow right now and probably will be for a few years so if your going to stay a while... yep.
Web Reference: http://www.CAcertified.com
Dear Househunter:

You have received many great answers from all these people!!!

Adding another door from the master bedroom is a great idea, it almost makes the master bedroom into a master suite, however, it is a shared bathroom for the bedrooms. This would be more of a convenience for your living situation, not adding much additional value. When you are ready to sell, the door addition would make a better selling point, having a semi private master bath/suite.

Make sure you check with the local building codes prior to doing the construction. Make sure you obtain any required permits for the work. If you don't, not having permits could be a sticky wicket when you try to sell, thus possibly decreasing the value rather than increasing the value.

yes, but more value could be added if you could add a whole new bathroom
Wow! You guys are fast!

Thank you for those suggestions/answers. The door to the bathroom would be in the corner of our bedroom and open up to an unused corner of the bathroom. The bathroom will be expanded from about 7x7 to about 10x10 so my thought is that it can accommodate two doors. I figured it would be nice to have direct access, but I wanted to ask the pros if it matters at all given that its not really a master bath or if its "looked down upon" to have that direct access to a shared bathroom. We will probably sell in a few years so this is why I was asking what your experience is in this matter.

I like the double lock suggestion and also the door jam/light fix. The room is currently up against that bathroom and we have no sound issues, but I'll keep that double drywall idea in mind when we get there. As for cost, I'm not concerned really given that my wife's dad is somewhat of a contractor/handyman and we can save big money there. He was a huge part in our kitchen remodel which turned out fantastic last year.
Hi Shared...
Direct access is always better! Make sure that the access has a secure lock since you don't want someone joining you at an unexpected time. Also, you might consider placing a double sided lock so that you can secure your privacy in the master bedroom, and the user can secure theirs in the bathroom.
Caution, lighting is also critical because a user will be in the bathroom while you are in the bedroom, and late night bright lights can be troublesome, so make sure you have the door jam properly fitted to the door, and consider placing something near the bottom of the door to keep the light in/out.
Lastly, double the drywall on that wall to limit the noise that will be coming from that bathroom.
Good Luck. call text or email davekleiman@gmail.com / 3109902277 with any questions.
Hi Househunter,

To be honest, I don't think it will add any monetary value to your home if you're looking for a monetary return on investment. Technically, the bedroom/bath count will be the same, and depending on how the door/bathroom/hallway are all laid out -- could look odd or be a turn off -- particularly if advertised as if it had an extra bath!

I've seen homes where the seller added an extra door and put a sink on the other side to count it as an extra 1/2 bath. It looks unconforming and works better in a jack-and-jill situation instead of a en-suite master/hallway bath. The value would really come from your value of having the door swing open directly onto the bathroom. Good luck!

Caroline Choi
Broker Associate/EcoBroker Certified
http://www.CarolineSellsTheCity.com
Hello. "Add Value" is a tricky term... how much will it cost you to do this. I think you are wondering if the cost is $2500 to do this, will it add double, or $5000 to the value of your home. All of this is a matter of personal taste...

Any improvements generally improved a homes value, but will a buyer pay for the improvement in this market... something like this I think is only marginal, and may not make much of a difference on the net sheet... however, this may be the thing that sells the home... most homeowners like the idea of having direct access to a bath from their master bedroom. Given the style of your home, most homebuyers will already be familiar with your floorplan and this will make a difference to them.

Bottom line though is... does it improve your floorplan, everyday use and practical living space. By opening a wall in the bedroom, you loose that space, as well as the wall space in the bath... What currently occupies those areas? Will they be missed? Sometimes opening an area will make both areas feel smaller and cramped as now you have that much less wall space for bath fixtures. If both the bedroom and bath space you are considering making a doorway are empty/unused spaces, absolutely...do it, but if you will now need to rearrange the bathroom to accomodate.. then the costs to do so may not be worth it. Good luck.

If you are thinking of selling your home, I am always happy to assist.
Richard "RJ" Kas (SFR, SRES)
"Representing the finest properties from Los Angeles worldwide"
KAS Properties - Coldwell Banker Previews International - Beverly Hills East
9388 Santa Monica Blvd, Beverly Hills, CA 90210
310.859-5334 office - 310.488.9826 mobile - 310-273-0670 fax ATT: RJ
RichardKas@gmail.com - http://www.RJforLA.com - DRE: 01352771
Sellers Buyers Investors Leasing Consulting
Yes this willl add value to you home, people like an access to bathrooms off bedrooms.
However, you want to be careful that the door access is not in the middle of your bedroom wall and that it does not look like a add on.
I hope this helps. Please feel free to call me if you have more questions. 925-817-9079
Kim
Hi househunter,

I think it really depends on the layout of your home. Is there good room in the bathroom to add this additional door as well as in your bedroom? If it's a large bathroom it may be a great idea, however if both rooms are smaller it may be too tight for two doors. In consideration of selling in the future, most people like to have direct access to the bathroom from the master so this may help slightly price-wise.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Grant Linscott
323.333.6222 cell
grantlinscottproperty@gmail.com
Direct access to the bathroom is better than hallway access. As long as the cost to add the door is reasonable then you are adding value.