Remodel & Renovate in 10021>Question Details

Rhoda Eisenb…, Home Buyer in 10021

We are combining 2 apartments in Manhattan into one and need to pull permits for the construction and the

Asked by Rhoda Eisenberg, 10021 Mon Feb 16, 2009

plumbing. How do we go about this?

Answers

3
I would suggest you use a liscensed general contractor and that he (or you) use a facilitator who knows their way around the permitting. Talk to a couple of Contractors, and see who seems to get your vision. Your architect may be able to help...I am fairly certain your board will require your plans to be prepared by an architect and reviewed by the buildings architect, you may want to consider using the building architect as yours if he/she will do so (Some will not as they see potential conflicts).
Best of luck, but more than anything...patience...lots of it.
I am a licensed contractor in NYC and Nassau (disclosure:I am also a real estate broker in NY State).

If your plans are done and filed with Dept of Buildings NYC, then you wold need to get permission from the coop / condo board to proceed with your construction. Once all the aforementioned is complete you would hire a contractor to pull permits. Generally speaking the contractor will use a plumber with whom he/she is familiar with and that company would cover your plumbing permits. At that point you can proceed with construction.

If you have any further questions now or in the furture, feel free to contact me.

Your general contractor who is completing work would know how to do this on your behalf. You can contact city for all paperwork involved.

NOTE: You can't start work till permits are issued if not approved very step fines be paid or entire project ripped out. Permits are posted proeprty visible to all see.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com