Squid, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Types of Heating Systems?

Asked by Squid, Los Angeles, CA Tue Dec 1, 2009

the house I bought has an older gravity heater built into the floor. if i want to upgrade, what are my options? can someone explain about the different types of heating systems and their pros and cons?

Answers

7
I have never heard of a gravity heating system. The most common options are gas and electric. Gas furnaces can potentially leak carbon monoxide, but it is not common. I would pick the option that is cheapest in your area.

http://www.biggerstaffsne.com/newpage-3
Thank you for the tip, Cory. I need to replace my gas heating system, and I was wondering if I should switch. I will call the city on Monday to see if electric would be cheaper. Winter is just around the corner, so time is of the essence. I hope to have everything installed by the end of next week.

http://www.oilheatserviceandsupply.com
Flag Sat Nov 8, 2014
I'm not sure what a gravity heater is exactly. I know that the most common types of heating that people use are gas or electric. My parents have an underfloor heating system though and they seem to be very happy with it. I think the pros and cons of each depend on what area you live in and how the weather is there.
Dear Squid,
I had the same thing and upgraded to Forced Air and Heating, which I love. All Pro and No Con as far as I'm concerned. It keeps our home at a constant temp..no more sweltering hot summer days!
I would recommend that if you are going to upgrade that you include AC. It's something that buyers are looking for.
Look into a Lennox system, take a minute go to a wholesaler/warehouse that will sell to the public, you can explain the area sq. footage where the best location is and refer you to a top installer.

If the whioesaler cannot sell direct to you have them refer you to a top installer, they'll know who will be perfect for your job.

Tony P
There are quite the collection of resources on the web, which offer from simple to the most complex explanations of the various types of heating systems: search it and read until your heart is content.

Have at least a couple of local HVAC contractors visit, assess the situation and give you their recommendations.

Pay close attention to the IRS requirements for tax credits related to upgrading your system to a high efficiency one that fits the profile and consider one that does.

Whatever you do, DO NOT jump into such a decision lightly; educate yourself and weigh especially:

-initial cost
-maintenance cost
-fuel cost
-longevity
-efficiency

When it comes to an old house, sometimes the 'path of least resistence' initially is not the best path long term. Research, research, research.
Call Schnieder Heating. Its own by a young guy but hes very knowledgeable (His dad's A fireman). He put the forced air heater in my house and did a great job! (310) 748 8175
I'v bee a local girl for 50 years, and have lived with gravity furnaces all my life. When they work,they are efficient and effective. Some concerns are whether or not there is a crack in the box, as that can be a source of leaking carbon monoxide. If you had it inspected before your purchase and it came up as ok, it should be more than adequate for southern California living, and affordable. If you are thinking of upgrading, consider upgrading to a "green" system which operates at 95% efficiency. Up until years end, you can receive a hefty tax credit on both heating and air conditioning systems. My recommendation would be to have someone come out and look at the property and give bids. The costs of HVAC systems are dependent on the size of your home, how many zones you want, and what ductwork and insulation needs to be installed. Only a professional who has seen the job site can answer your questions.
Do you need a few referrals of qualified, pre-screened HVAC providers? I'd be happy to help. We have a service, Coldwell Banker Concierge, which is available to all of our clients at no cost, that makes homeownership easy - before, during and after your move. This free service saves you valuable time and money by giving you instant access to our exclusive network of prescreened, quality service providers, carefully selected for their professional qualifications and customer service records. From moving and relocation services to maintenance and home improvement projects, Concierge Online can facilitate every aspect of homeownership to ensure that you have access to the highest level of service providers in California. I'd be happy to hook you up, free of charge. Just send me an email.
Deborah Bremner
REALTOR
Certified Short Sale Professional
Coldwell Banker Brentwood West
11999 San Vicente Blvd. Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90049
(D) 310.571.1364
(C) 310.422.4288
(F) 310.820.1457
http://www.TheBremnerGroup.com
TheBremnerGroup@gmail.com
Blogging at: http://TheBremnerGroup.com/blog