Jbasecki, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

Trulia ratings. Why are they different than public opinion?

Asked by Jbasecki, San Jose, CA Mon Dec 5, 2011

Trulia rated the area of Chicago where I have an investment as "good". While rehabbing the building I am being told that the area is not only "poor" but also dangerous. Why then Trulia's rating is different? Would anyone know?

Trulia, Zillow and other such websites simply accumulate data and provide a report. They are good places to start your search from, but you should by no means use only these sites for your decision. Drive through the neighborhoods, talk to neighbors, and utilize the expertise of a REALTOR to assist you in your search. Due Diligence is needed.
Web Reference: http://www.BJDHOMES.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 7, 2011
Hi Jbasecki,

Apparently you're looking to buy in an area you're not familiar with.

I would advise you to check it for yourself or have a friend do it for you, someone local. You can go to everyblock.com and do some research there or simply google the neighborhood, check out the public shools website, the local police crime reports, etc....

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 7, 2011
I am not sure, but when buying places, you should really look more into neighborhoods than just a rating on a website. There are many tools out there as well as being able to visit the neighborhoods yourself. Only you can make this decision. As agents, we cant comment on things of this nature.
Web Reference: http://AmericorpRe.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 6, 2011
Sounds like you may not have even seen the area. Did you work with a local agent who advised you on your purchase? I would not use Trulia for any type of rating or judgement about an investment purchase. There are always factors and information that you need to gather and consider that is not found on a website like this. I'd recommend coming out to get your renovation work started in person.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 5, 2011
I have no clue what criteria Trulia uses to make judgements, but I can give you my opinion if interested. Odd that you bought something in a neighborhood that you were unfamiliar with.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 5, 2011
Great question. Reminds me of a topic on national news yesterday. Detroit was rated the FATTEST city in America! What was the criteria. Availability of walking paths, no reference or attempt to the actually assess the weight of the citizens of Detroit.

I would imagine everyone who has a home for sale in your area of Chicago came to Truila and voted for the community in a manner best suiting their interests. A creative use of this social power would be to allow these same citizens to vote on the Value Guesstimates also.

Folks approaching a decision point in their lives need to access reliable and timely data with a true chain of accountability. Failing to seek or accept access to such data is like cutting a tree down with a butter knife. You can nick the bark, but eventually, one needs to realize the right tools are needed to get the job done in a manner most beneficial to the home buyer or seller. Resisting the influence of public opinion and responding to the facts you see, will serve the best interest of all. Addiction to the opinions of others is fraught with its own set of debilitating consequences.

All of the real estate pros I know, including those participating right here on Trulia, will advise citizens to refer to the crime statistics on the local law enforcement website. Again, its is access to real and timely data that is essential when making important decisions in ones life.