First Time H…, Home Owner in Redlands, CA

The paint on the outside of our home is peeling in many areas after a few big rains, who is responsible for fixing the poor paint job?

Asked by First Time Home Owner, Redlands, CA Sun May 13, 2012

we have only been living in the house for about 2 months are we really concerned, since the home is 100 years old and the expense of having a qualified lead base paint expert repaint the house just isn't something we were ready to invest in. Specially since we paid a large amount to have the house inspected for lead base paint, because we have children that are medically fragile.

Answers

2
You indicate that you "paid a large amount to have the house inspected for lead base paint" but you do not indicate whether the report found lead based paint or not. It would be very difficult to answer this question without knowing all the details of the purchase. For example - if it did have lead based paint, did you sign off on the report. Did you sign any 'as is' releases when you purchased the home.
My suggestion is for you to contact your agent and have him/her go over your purchase with you and he/she would be in a much better position - having all the facts - to answer any of your concerns.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 15, 2012
Hello Ruthann,
Thanks for your reply. The report did find lead on the outside of the house. We did not sign any "as is" releases. We actually didn't sign off on the disclosure section of the lead based part because we paid to have the house inspected, and that was one of the deciding factors once we learned about the lead based paint disclosure. The paint on the house is new less than 1 year old (it was advertised as new paint throughout). Also the report said that we had nothing to worry about as the paint throughout the entire house was in good condition.

I hope that helps to clear up things a bit for you. I have also contacted the agent and the broker to see what we are suppose to do.
Flag Thu May 17, 2012
I would recommend contacting your agent. Hopefully she can find out who or what contractor service last painted the home and if there was an existing warranty.
Thanks Connie I have contacted the agent and her broker and hope to hear back from them soon.
Flag Thu May 17, 2012