Leslie Reeves, Other/Just Looking in Phoenix, AZ

The house I'm interested in is located in an historic neighborhood. I plan to renovate the residence to use

Asked by Leslie Reeves, Phoenix, AZ Tue Jun 16, 2009

as an art school for the neighborhood children. What rules apply to renovating in historic neighborhoods?
Leslie

Answers

5
I have done a couple remodel plans in the city of Phoenix historic district. They are a little different. You must take the preliminary floor plan and elevations to the historic commitee first. Once you have their approval then continue with the rest of the constrution documents. The building department won't take the plans until the historic commitee approves them.

You probably won't be able to change the look of the original structure to match the new addition. In other words, you can't add a stucco addition and put stucco over the brick to make it all match.

I would ask about their requirements before you start the design process.

I would also ask about the zoning requirements for having a school in a neighboorhood. There will be issues of parking and signage that will come up.
You may want to check with the historic preservation office of the city in which the property is located for what you can and/or cannot do.
Leslie,

"What rules apply to renovating in historic neighborhoods? "

The City Building code, Compliance department has the final say. These are the people I would look to for answers.

This is one of those times that you need a "real" expert in this field. Greg Swann knows the Historic district better than anyone, here is his website http://distinctivephoenix.com/

Good Luck
Patrick
Web Reference: http://www.AZRE.TV
Mr.P, Other/Just Looking in Arizona
Leslie,

I am researching for you! Please respond to my email and provide address of interest! Thanks

Lucinda Tkach
Windermere Central
lucindat@windermere.com
Each historical district has their own CC&Rs that they use and that homeowners must abide by. You would probably need to contact either the management company or the HOA if there is one for the particular area you are interested in.