He does good work and has the experience to get your project done on time and within the budget.
P.S.. You can also check out my website under resources.
Your tag says you are from CA so maybe you don't know how things work around here. I'll give you a primer. Some of this may or may not be applicable to your situation.
- Standard GC fee is +/-10%. Seen it as high as 15%, as low as 5%
- Additional GC fees include the money he tacks onto each subcontractor bid. Some tack on a lot, others not so much. With the way work is right now, most probably aren't going to tack too much on top of Sub's bids because they want the job. Unless of course they think you are a sap and will go for it.
- Your concern should be more about finding a GC you feel comfortable with, can talk with easily, listens to you and can show he has the resources to handle the job.
- Maintaining honesty is more about contract documents, stipulations and openness on the job. Yes there are scumbag GC's out there. However, most guys who have a good referral base will be honest enough to get the job done. The honesty 'level' will in part depend on if and how the bills can get paid.
- Even though the GC is working 'for you' it is important to realize he is also working for himself to make a profit. A GC does not have the same fiduciary responsibility to you as an attorney.
- Unless you already have Plans and Permits, your 3-4 month timeline for a job of this size isn't going to happen. Depending on various factors it could take you 1-2 months to get Plans and Permits. Add in time to find a GC and subs, get bids, etc., you could be pushing 3-4 months right there. Add in time for winter and holiday downtime, its not going to happen.
- Obviously the next item is a bit self-serving. However, unless you are very familiar with construction or are going to be around a lot I suggest you hire an architect or inspector to be your eyes and ears on the job. This will help ensure your final product ends up at the quality level you are striving for.
Client calling have to go ...
John G Moustis
President / Owner
SPARTAN CONSTRUCTION & DESIGN, INC.
Phone & Fax: 630-963-6020
Quality building, remodeling & consulting services in the Chicagoland area since 1991