Jbasecki, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

Searching for an honest General Contractor to make an estimate in Humboldt Park Chicago.

Asked by Jbasecki, San Jose, CA Mon Dec 5, 2011

Will need work done on a 7000 sq bldg, 4 floors within 3 or 4 month. Looking for reasonable estimates. Are you a general contracor or could recommend one?

Answers

8
Bill J Deligiannis’ answer
If you want straight and honest answers to your questions I would recommend:

Nick Psyhogios
nick@exemplarybuilders.com
312-437-9399

He does good work and has the experience to get your project done on time and within the budget.
Please call me and i can recommend you 2 very reasonable and very professional contractors! They can give you some estimates !
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 6, 2013
Check out Caldero Construction http://calderoconstruction.com, Leo 708-955-9229 or Meade Services, Oscar 773-761-1595.

P.S.. You can also check out my website under resources.
If you need a referral please let me know. I would be happy to pass one along.
Web Reference: http://AmericorpRe.com
That question really opens you up for a lot of work. How to decipher which guy is honest and which guy isn't is a fairly subjective question. Some would say that a GC is only as honest as his profit margin allows.
Your tag says you are from CA so maybe you don't know how things work around here. I'll give you a primer. Some of this may or may not be applicable to your situation.
- Standard GC fee is +/-10%. Seen it as high as 15%, as low as 5%
- Additional GC fees include the money he tacks onto each subcontractor bid. Some tack on a lot, others not so much. With the way work is right now, most probably aren't going to tack too much on top of Sub's bids because they want the job. Unless of course they think you are a sap and will go for it.
- Your concern should be more about finding a GC you feel comfortable with, can talk with easily, listens to you and can show he has the resources to handle the job.
- Maintaining honesty is more about contract documents, stipulations and openness on the job. Yes there are scumbag GC's out there. However, most guys who have a good referral base will be honest enough to get the job done. The honesty 'level' will in part depend on if and how the bills can get paid.
- Even though the GC is working 'for you' it is important to realize he is also working for himself to make a profit. A GC does not have the same fiduciary responsibility to you as an attorney.
- Unless you already have Plans and Permits, your 3-4 month timeline for a job of this size isn't going to happen. Depending on various factors it could take you 1-2 months to get Plans and Permits. Add in time to find a GC and subs, get bids, etc., you could be pushing 3-4 months right there. Add in time for winter and holiday downtime, its not going to happen.
- Obviously the next item is a bit self-serving. However, unless you are very familiar with construction or are going to be around a lot I suggest you hire an architect or inspector to be your eyes and ears on the job. This will help ensure your final product ends up at the quality level you are striving for.
Client calling have to go ...
Web Reference: http://aic-chicago.com
I grew up in Chicago and have been involved with new construction & remodeling since 1984. I've worked for Builders & Contractors before finally opening my own company in 1991. Currently, I'm involved with the addition of a 2nd story home in West Chicago and working with a client thru the FHA 203k Program. I am licensed with the City of Chicago as a Contractor and licensed with the State as a Lead base Paint Renovator (Required for Contractors working on homes older than 1978). I average about 10-15 minor projects a year and one or two major ones. I would be happy to help you with your future project.

John G Moustis
President / Owner
SPARTAN CONSTRUCTION & DESIGN, INC.
Phone & Fax: 630-963-6020
Email: jmoustis@spartancontractor.com
Website: http://www.spartancontractor.com

Quality building, remodeling & consulting services in the Chicagoland area since 1991
I have worked with this Architect/contractor for many years. Peter Tryfonopolous 312-543-0895
MY Company is CG Realty Group and we are accredited with the Better Business Bureau. We specialize in all types of residential construction and remodeling. We have been in business since 1998 and have done work throughout Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. I can be reached directly at 773-573-0105.

Steven