Cooper Marcus, Home Buyer in 94110

SF rear yard setback requirement - how to calculate average of neighbor's depth in a "corner" lot?

Asked by Cooper Marcus, 94110 Fri Apr 19, 2013

I'm considering a property on a deep lot. The building to one side is of the same depth as the building I'm consdidering, but on a much less deep lot. The buildings on the other side are facing a perpendicular street and thus their backs face the side of the building I'm considering.

SF Planning's handy bulletin #5 http://www.sf-planning.org/ftp/files/publications_reports/ZA… describes how to determine minimum rear setback, but only when there are buildings to either side of the subject building where all three buildings face the same street (see page 4 of the bulletin).

I can't figure out what the requirement is when the subject building is, essentially, on a corner lot - any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

2
Cooper,

Surrounding properties are often a good barometer, but you need to talk with the building department. And keep in mind that no matter how friendly or positive they are about development potentials, the only way to know for sure is once permits have been granted, so be very careful as that isn't going to happen till after you own the property. Since building in the city is so expensive, time consuming, and annoying, you should look at houses that are big enough as they are.

I have a lot of experience with the building department having done many of my own remodels and would be happy to discuss - we just finished a year long gut job on our current house.

Lance R. King
Founder-Managing Broker

King Realty Group
Cell: 415.722.5549
Email: lance@king-realtygroup.com
License # 01384425
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 20, 2013
Section 134 of the San Francisco planning code includes the rules for corner lots. You can find the planning code on-line. If you go to section 134, which is quite long, and search for "corner lot", you can find the information you need. The folks at the planning counter on Mission Street are also very helpful.