Remodel & Renovate in Apopka>Question Details

ellen1960, Home Owner in Lake Mary, FL

Our Home Insurance is dropping us because of polybutelane plumbing no leak problem. What questions we ask our insurance co.,need Advice Please!

Asked by ellen1960, Lake Mary, FL Wed Sep 12, 2012

Before we spend a lot of money on repipe the house.I have the polybutelane plumbing in my house.when we bought the house 10 yrs ago not a word mention from seller or real state agent about this type of plumbing.We were dropped by state farm after 9 yrs.We found a new insurance co.,but recently got a letter from them that they are dropping us due to polybutelene plumbing.we were also told that theres some company out there but will pay high rate. We are now getting estimates to get the whole house repipe.A costly repair we are stuck. My questions are:Do we use a PEX materials to run up in our attic since we have 2 story level home? we were told PEX or PVC is OK.since the new plumbing is going to run up in the attic will PEX or PVC Hold the Summer Heat here in Florida and also during cold weather will there be a condensation I have to worry dripping up in the attic?Should we install one of those shut off valve that shut offs water automatically when it detect leak?Thanks.
Ms.K

Answers

3
I kinow this is an older post and I just came across it and wanted to chime in in case you have not gotten an answer. Poybutylene plumbing has been around for a while and years ago was not an issue with insurance companies. As some componets age we discover defects associated with them. This type of plumbing is prone to leaks. Some installations may last forever while some fail and cause massive damage resulting in huge claims. Insurance Companies use data like this to reduce their risk. From what I can tell it is not the tubing itself that fails but the connectors that may be defective or not properly installed. Hope this helps
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
Hi Ms. K, The Real Esate Agent would not of known that unless she had ask the owners before did you get an inspection on the home before you bought it?The inspector would have known about what type of pipes was in the house.?

A plumber will likely be able to best answers any specific questions that you may have but from what I have been told by inspectors , CPVC or PVC) is currently the best type of piping. I would also recommend contacting a few insurance companies to obtain at lease 3 estimates with your current polybutulene pipes.I learned about that a fews years ago when my inspector told me about a house we was inspecting and he said the insurance would be high because of that we did not bother with the house bacause it would have cause 8-10k to redo the pipes in the house.

Best Wishes to you
Vivienne C
321-231-8487
Hi Ms. K,

First of all, a plumber will likely be able to best address your plumbing-specific questions, but from what I have been told, CPVC (different than PVC) is currently the best type of piping. I would also recommend contacting a few new insurance companies to obtain estimates with your current polybutulene set-up.

I wish you the best!

Take care,
Ryan