Remodel & Renovate in Edison>Question Details

Lakshmi, Home Owner in Edison, NJ

Need Good Home renovating contractors.

Asked by Lakshmi, Edison, NJ Fri Jan 11, 2013

Got few quotes from angies list home builders but they are charging heavy prices. How should I find reliable builders. I live in Middlesex county.
Also can I go by angies list? Is that trusted ?

Answers

5
Vishal Maher Cell 732-277-9321’s answer
Hi Lakshmi,

I have persaonally used and recommended Chrijetta Construction. They are Licensed General Contractors, Plumbers and Electricians. Their prices are very reasonable and work is good.

Owner's name is Julio. His Cell# (201) 314-9486.

Vishal.
Lakshmi,

Just another bit of advice. As you drive around the area, you will always see signs in front of homes for contractors working on those homes. Why not contact any of them too.

I see a lot of Brown & Glynn Construction, David Ginfrida Construction, Ideal Construction and Woodbridge Builders. Look them up on the internet. (not a recommendation just ideas)

Just curious but just what sort of renovations are you talking about? A new Kitchen can cost from $10-40,000+ depending on the quality of items you choose, size of the room, types of amenities you install etc. A bathroom remodel can be $5 - 20,000+ for the same reasons.

I do agree with Andrew to never hire the company with the lowest priced estimate. Whomever, you hire, make sure everything from demolition to removal of debris and everything in between is itemized in the estimate, this way there is no question on who is responsible to do what. In most renovations however, be prepared for additional costs at least 5% over the initial estimate for things that could not be known before beginning the job.

One more thing, please, if the project requires removal of walls, installation of electric/plumbing etc, don't try to do it yourself. Buying items you need direct from the sellers/manufacturers can sometimes save some money, but if a lot of supplies are needed, most often the contractor gets a better discount you would not get anyway.

I frequently used the following company (coincidently located in Edison) for the purchase of incidentals like sinks, faucets, lighting etc). They can deliver or you can pick up the items yourself.

http://www.homeclick.com/
Thanks. And the idea is very good to me as I am new to this place. Will have an eye when outside to see if someone does some construction job.

Thanks.
Flag Mon Jan 14, 2013
Hi Laxmi,
If you still have the renovation plan on the way, I have a little suggestion.
I do not agree with Vishal's answer as he noted that Angie's list contractors are there just by marketing. Angie's list is the referral that the customers provide according to their own experience for the contractors they hired. It is their own experience that brings the recommendation for those contractors. so Angie's list is based on customer's voice.
Also, I have hired the contractor from Angie's list and they are on the top list from Angie's. I had a wonderful experience with them. Check the angie's list for middlesex county and feel free to contact the contractors from it. Many times they give you free estimates and it does not hurt to get another estimate for your project. It will make easier to find a better deal contacting more then one. Check your regional magazines like "Gujarat Darpan" since many of the native speakers advertise in their own magazines.
Hi Laksmi,

the reason Angie's list exist is because it is trusted. If you received more than 1 quote and they are similar that means that is the true costs.
If anyone is doing it for less then that person should not be trusted or should be able to tell you what corners they are cutting to give you a better price.

and be prepared for additional charges depending on the age of your home and the size of the project,
I also did in home sales for Home Depot and would be happy to help you if you need any more information or guidance.

Best Wishes
If the builders you got from Angies list are all quoting around the same amount then perhaps that's the price the renovations you want to do will cost.
From my understanding Angies list is a list of contractors independently reviewed by people who used them and recommend them as thorough and reliable.
Depending on what renovations you want to do the work can be expensive so your statement of "heavy cost" may be unfounded.
My suggestion is to ask some neighbors or friends who they used.
Please also remember that many interior home renovations also require permits and must meet town building code requirements which is one service your contractor will provide.