Remodel & Renovate in 54481>Question Details

Uhlwalker, Home Owner in 54481

My home is very old; the foundation is rotting away and possible lead paint. Could this be the cause of my son's developmental delays?

Asked by Uhlwalker, 54481 Sun Jun 19, 2011

my home is approximately 75 yrs old, we have owned it for approximately 5 yrs. We knew the home was old and in poor condition, but now we have noticed health issues in our 3 small children (all under 7yrs old). Are there any government or non profit programs that can help lower class (upper lower class) residents with these types of problems or do most lenders assist you with condemnable property situations?

Help the community by answering this question:

Answers

4
Any home built prior to 1978 is likely to have lead based paint. The issue with lead paint is when it peels or chips or is sanded. The chips can be ingested by children and the dust can be inhaled by both children and adults. Ingestion of lead in children can lead to developmental delays as well as other health issues.

I've attached a link to the EPA's most common pamphlet on lead based paint.

You can also try calling Portage County Health and Human Services. Their number is (866) 920-2525
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 19, 2011
yes even more so if he is eating the paint chips.
if you need a contractor to look at it 715-340-3742
i am lead trained
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 13, 2012
Rather than condemning your house and leaving your lender in a bad situation.
1. Check with a doctor and see if your child has high lead levels.
2. check with cap services and see if they can help with the repairs to your foundation and painting over any peeling lead paint.
3. if you dont meet cap services criteria, then try fixing the issues yourself, do a bit of research first to see what needs to be done and if any permits are required.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 20, 2011
Are your children somehow consuming the paint? You say that your foundation is rotting away - so, your foundation is made of wood then, which is not unheard of but very rare. It could be that you have mold. You might check with your county to see if they have a "block grant program"
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 20, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer