Paulette Pee…, Home Owner in Parrish, FL

My home is in need of repair, but with mortage payments I can't afford these repairs, My insurance refuses saying it due to "normal wear

Asked by Paulette Peeler, Parrish, FL Fri Aug 12, 2011

and tear. My house was built in 1905,it has alot of of orginal wood and all rooms perfect except kitchen floor. The floor has fell in around kitchen sink. I am afraid to let anyone come to my home and afraid of snakes and other animals coming in. It's just keeps getting worse and I know it's the foundation. I don't want to go to the bank that holds the mortage, I'm already paying alot of interst and don't want them to refinance. I owe 5 .8 years and really want it paid off. My health is not good and I pray I can pay it off before I die.

Help the community by answering this question:


paulette most insurance companies will not cover wear and tear on a home.

Did you have a contractor come out and look to see what the problem is?

If you need money to fix the problem you may be able to refinance to a 15 year loan and borrow the money to fix the problem. This may lower you monthly payment.

Why do you want the home paid off when you die? You can not take it with you and you need to take care of yourself first and not worry about your heirs.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 13, 2011
Hi Paulette,

Contact the county to get in the lottery when the next SHIP funds become available. It will give you a zero interest loan to fix up your kitchen floor if your income is below average. See the info below:…

In the meantime, maybe you can find a 2nd job to earn the money to repair your kitchen and/or remove expenses from your budget, i.e. cable tv, cell phone, eating out etc.

I also suggest and his Financial Peace university. Classes are offered in your area and it will help you to get your financials in order so you will have an emergency fund for situations like this.

All the best,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 13, 2011
Paullette, What you are describing does not sound like normal wear and tear. Have you had your insurance agent come to your house to look at the damage? This does not sound like a safe situation for you. You need to find help from someone. Do you have family close by? If you go to a church, there might be a fund or parrish members who might donate their time to help you out. Independence is important, but sometimes you just cannot do it alone and it is time to ask for help. Here is a number that I found on the internet for help in Florida if it applys to you. The number is 1-800-96ELDER. Also check out the website for Florida. Good luck and God bless.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 13, 2011
Hi Paulette,

What is your question?

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 12, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer