Remodel & Renovate in Odessa>Question Details

Cnail, Other/Just Looking in Odessa, TX

My home has a swimming pool that is in need of some repair. Is it worthwhile to make the repairs?

Asked by Cnail, Odessa, TX Wed May 5, 2010

Home was built in 1970's. Inground pool built in 1978. Needs plaster replaced. Approximately $9000.00 cost to replace plaster.

Answers

8
If you want to get the most money for your property then YES. I think buyers are afraid of "Problems" they may also feel that if the pool wasnt taken care of perhaps other things were not either. You may get a low ball offer from a builder, but is that what you want? I am a real estate agent in Jensen Beach Fl and bought homes myself. That is how I have looked at things and my Buyers seem to react the same way....Call me if you would like.
Lorri Formelio 772-225-2748
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 5, 2010
You are either going to want to do the repair or possibly fill in the pool. Many lenders will require the pool to be filled with water to do a loan as well so if the pool cannot hold water in the state it is in that could be a problem. Pools typically do not help a property sell faster so having a pool that is in disrepair would seriously hinder your ability to get top dollar.
Do the repair! Buyers would prefer not to have a pending pool issues, when purchasing a new property.
Repairing it will help you sell the place faster and eventually cover your spent money on renovating the pool and all. After all the pool won't get better itself..

Luck!
Jessica
You do need to repair the pool - you say it will be $9000 to repair, but a buyer will see it as double that amount. Also if you have one major negative about a home then they will be looking for additional problems. So it really is best to have everything in tip top shape.
If the pool is in need of that much repair - it is definietly something you need to consider.

However.............What I'd like to know, though, is what is the condition of the house in general?
is it in need of repairs and updating? How well will it show?

If your budget for fix ups is limited, it might be more productive to make sure the house is in tip top shape first, .and then sell with the pool "as is". If you can do it all..then go for it!

Best of luck to you in selling your home!
Depends on:

1. Your goals
2. Whether as-is pricing meets your goals
3. Whether you have the money to do the repair
4. Whether other homes in your immediate area require similar repairs
5. Whether buyers object to anything in addition to the pool issue
6. Whether you have enough equity in the home to leave some of it behind as a contribution toward the repair
as a negotiating point

Have a blessed day!
Ronda
Cnail,
I suggest you to repair it because even if it is just cosmetic it will look nice and give you a good marketing advantage of your property. If this repair effects your pool's working condition you should definitely repair it because inspector will find out and mention it and you will repair it that time if buyer agrees. Eventually either way you will repair it :)
Good luck...
Pelin
http://www.dallashomelist.com
Being a homeowner with a pool and a Realtor, I would suggest you get the repairs done. You don't say what the list price is going to be on your property, but I am guessing with the cost of the repair, it is probably a nice pool and home. Besides, you can always try to recover some of the cost of the repair within the price of your property. Along the line of Lorri's comment regarding maintenance reflection, I remember the line from the motivational speaker who always checked the cleanliness of the folding trays on the airplane he travelled on and figured the airline's aircraft maintenance is probably reflected there. Hopefully it is a good sign!