Remodel & Renovate in 25414>Question Details

John Morton, Home Seller in Charles Town, WV

My circa 1876 farmhouse still needs a lot of work, including a kitchen upgrade. I was considering combining

Asked by John Morton, Charles Town, WV Tue Mar 17, 2009

the kitchen with a mudroom that is little used. This eliminates a stairway to the 4th bedroom. I would then combine the small 3rd and 4th bedrooms into a master suite with bath and walk-in closet. Considering I do most of the work myself, I was concerned about the effect on resale of reducing the house from a 4 to 3 bedroom. I plan to retire and sell within 2 years if the market picks up at all.

Answers

2
Amy Salisbury’s answer
Dear Mr. Morton,
Considering you would be upgrading your kitchen and adding a master suite, I think these improvements will improve your value. I would caution you to be frugal in your spending, as its unlikely you'll see returns on your investments comparable to the sales values we saw in this area in 2004-2005. Good luck!
Upgrading your kitchen will help tremendously. Going from a 4 to a 3 bedroom could affect your value but value is also based on square footage which you are not changing. If anything you are making better use of the space by enlarging the kitchen. Obviously I haven't seen the property but it sounds like your plans will help you sell rather than hurt you.