Anne, Home Owner in Oklahoma City, OK

Master Suite Remodel in Historic Home

Asked by Anne, Oklahoma City, OK Sun Jan 6, 2013

We have a 1913 4-square home close to the city center that we bought 1 year ago. It has a full finished basement with a bathroom, and 3 bedrooms and 1 bath on the second floor - the fourth original bedroom on the second floor was converted to a laundry room by previous owners. The third floor is finished but with no bathroom. We plan on living here for a long time and would like to have a master bathroom and more closet space. Our dilemma is where to do it - should we convert the third bedroom on the second floor into a master bath/closet and make the third floor into a kids bunk room with a bathroom or make the third floor a master suite?

Answers

7
Discussing the options with a licensed contractor and/or structural engineer will help make sure you don't cause structural problems to either floor. And having someone who knows design (interior designer, home stager) can help you make sure it will have good flow with the rest of the property and look visually appealing. I am a certified home stager, let me know if I can help!

Leah Brown, Realtor
Prudential Alliance Realty
Hi Anne,

The third floor master suite is probably the most cost effective, but you may grow tired of climbing the stairs. Maybe you should add the master suite to the 2nd floor and put in 2 bedrooms and a small bath on the 3rd floor if there's enough space. A 4 bedroom home is more attractrive to buyers than a 3 bedroom.

Best of luck,

Bridgett Wells
651-9320
bridgettwells@kw.com
While you say that you plan on living in the home a long time, it is still your future investment, and the question is really whether changing the floor plan drastically to modernize the house will reduce or increase it's future value. You might consult with the agent that sold you the home who is familiar with working with buyers and their opinion as to whether buyers prefer certain remodeling strategies. While historic preservation groups have very good information, often their guidelines can be very rigid however, if you can make changes that can be easily reverted if the next buyers want to renovate historically, you will increase your buyers pool. And after all, many times our plans change!
Find a good architect, contractor or designer. I am so happy that I lived in my home for a while before I decided to make changes. Some of the things that I thought would be great when I first moved in, I know realize would have changed the integrity of the design of my home. I have a contractor that discusses alternatives with me before I ever start a project. Of course, I tend to change things in the middle of the peoject and often add to my costs. I would be happy to share my resources with you.

Carolyn Sims
Keller Williams Elite
405-808-7922
Web Reference: http://www.csimshomes.com
Many folks have had your same situation. A good resource for you would be the Historical Preservation, Inc. group. You can meet others that have similiar properties.

Historical Preservation, Inc.
Board of Directors
president@heritagehills.org
vicepresident@heritagehills.org
secretary@heritagehills.org
treasurer@heritgagehills.org

Mike Bumm
Metro First Realty OWP
Anne,

You should give Greoge Eastling a call at 405-317-3581, he is a local contractor and he will be able to look over your home's layout and provide you solid answers.

Tell him Josh sent you.

Josh Barnett, Realtor
Metro First Realty
Web Reference: http://www.1ListingFee.com
You might really consider getting the contractor and designer in who will be doing the work. The contractor can tell you if the upstairs is sturdy enough to hold a bath, etc. How many floors do you want to ascend to bed versus the kids?