Remodel & Renovate in 19103>Question Details

Mamasan, Other/Just Looking in Philadelphia, PA

Legal Mother in Law unit or multi family?

Asked by Mamasan, Philadelphia, PA Mon May 2, 2011

Hi all. we are looking to get a home with a mother in law unit or multi family zoning in Rittenhouse. Of course, these are few and far between. How difficult is it to get legal zoning for a mother in law (strictly family use) or to get zoned multi family?

Answers

4
Charles Balducci’s answer
`I doubt that you will have the need. There are many existing options around the vicinity. And even if you want to adapt an existing floor plan to include a self-contained living situation, the zoning will not change since it is technically not a multi-family situation with a private front entrance, separate HVAC, meters etc. Yet, the proper permits and paperwork will have to be presented to L&I through your architect and contractor. I am a multi-family specialist so please feel free to contact me to explore your options.

Charles Balducci, 215.531.2000
Coldwell Banker Preferred, Avenue Arts
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 2, 2011
If you go to the website of the city you can almost always find a zoning map that will tell you what type of businesses are legal in that area. Personally i find it a bit ridiculous that you can have some types of buildings in some areas. http://spauldingandkitzler.com/Domestic-Violence/
Whenever you have specific criteria for a home purchase the available pool of properties is potentially reduced. Bear in mind that a FHA 203K Renovation Loan may be a great solution for you. The program will enable you to modify an existing residence to suit your needs. And, the down payment is only 3.5%.

I am not licensed in PA; however, recommend that you look for a local 203K specialist to see if the program may solve your needs.

All my best,

Deborah
WJ Bradley

"We Listen. We Care. We Deliver."
I agree with charles. Many homes have first floor bedrooms. Good luck in your search