Remodel & Renovate in Orange>Question Details

Caron, Home Buyer in 92865

Keep laminate, or replace with carpet now, or hardwood later?

Asked by Caron, 92865 Wed Jul 11, 2012

I just purchased a 3400 sq ft home which has travertine in the entry, kitchen, and family room (although a little damaged), and dark laminate in the rest of the main floor and upstairs (bedrooms/hallway). I removed the dark laminate downstairs because of the way it was installed (cheap black rubber transition between curved travertine/laminate). I was thinking of replacing with nice carpet and keeping the laminate on the stairs and upstairs room. However, I have 2 little kids and I'm worried that the laminate (especially on the stairs) is too slippery and the laminate squeaks and bounces! I don't think the laminate was installed well. For budget reasons, I can only replace the upstairs and stairs with carpet, or leave as laminate. What I would love to do is replace everything with hardwood, which I think will enhance the home's value. Would it be better to do the hardwood now before I move in, just replace the laminate with nice carpet in the upstairs and LR/DR or leave as is?

Answers

4
If you are on a budget I would definitely replace with carpet. If you can afford hardwood I would do that for sure. Either way cheap tacky laminate should go before you move in otherwise it would be like moving twice to put flooring in upstairs.
I'm thinking now about changing the upper floor hallway and stairs to hardwood (maybe with a carpet runner?) and bedroom floors to carpet. Should the master be hardwood too then and just the 3 kids bedrooms to carpet?
Having kids. Carpet is good and no worries about slipping on them with young kids . Then later on get the hardwood floors.

Ingrid Ski Realtor
949-874-0432
OCAreaHomes@gmail.com
Hardwood floors are durable and really warm up a room and home. I would certainly get pricing from several differently places and their are a lot of great deals out there for flooring. Doing it before you move in is a smart move otherwise later you are moving furniture, displacing the family etc.

Would love to help in any way.

Raquel