Judynow, Home Buyer in Rossmoor, Walnut Creek...

Is there asbestos in the popcorn ceilings? I'd need to know that before disturbing the ceiling to remodel, say, with lighting.

Asked by Judynow, Rossmoor, Walnut Creek, CA Fri Nov 27, 2009

Answers

5
Rossmoor was built over 40 years ago which puts it in the ge of asbestos - there are several contractors that work with the asbestos removing it and there are also some contractors that will lay a 1/4 inch or soof sheet rock over popcorn and then texture the ceilings either give me a call or call golden rain
Sheron McCormick
925-323-9966
Good answers here, I would some popcorn is and some is not. I also add that if you are planning a remodel taking the time to remove it is a value added enhancement that you can enjoy until you sell down the road. The cost for a runs about $1.00- $1.50 per square foot from a reputable company who will properly dispose of the waste.
Web Reference: http://bob2sell.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 29, 2009
Just to add to these answers about taking samples. You may not want to take the sample yourself. I know of an unfortunate lawsuit in which a lab would not certify because, since they had not taken the sample they could not know what had happened after sampling but before delivery to the lab. At the very least you should consult the lab you've chosen for their protocols on sampling and be sure they will certify a sample that you took.
As for the construction date, I see you registration as Rossmoor. Almost all of Rossmoor was built in 60's when asbestos was commonly used in popcorn ceilings.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 28, 2009
Hi Judy,
You can call an expert to take a small sample of the ceiling to a lab locally. They will test it to see if it contains asbestos. You can call Cal/OSHA at (916) 574-2993 to get more information or go to http://www.dir.ca.gov. Was your home built before or during the 1970"s? If so, it is suspect.
Good luck to you,
Suzanne Looker
You can't allways tell whether a material contains asbestos simply by looking at it. Because you are in doubt, treat the material as if it contains asbestos and have it sampled and analyzed by a qualified professional. Taking samples yourself is not recommended.

I am happy to provide a list of local Asbestos Abatement Contractors if you would like to contact me.

Linda Van Drent
Associate Broker
Coldwell Banker
DRE#01051129
LindaVanDrent.com