Mp, Home Buyer in Sunnyvale, CA

Is it possible to remodel the masterbath of Eichler homes? We liked the house in Sunnyvale. But the entrance

Asked by Mp, Sunnyvale, CA Mon Aug 3, 2009

to master bath is too narrow and the bath tub and commode are too cramped. Is it possible to remodel master bath of Eichler homes?

Answers

4
I've struggled with redoing my master bath for months. The breakthrough came when we decided to move the walk-in closet and have it face the bedroom. We ended up with a very spacious, happy bath. The original was super cramped. See my blog post below for info:
I have remodeled a few of these homes.

Master baths and hall baths.

Let me know If I can be of any help !
If possible extend it outward and make the bath room brighter with sky lights if not with sun tunnels.
May be you can do without the tub and live with a larger shower to save space. Have you got room for
sinks elsewhere?

I have seen bath in PA added and they still look cramped. But this 1.2 mil Eichler in PA had 1 bath before for a family of 6.

Whatever you remodel will not look anything like modern bath. Joseph Eichler never envisioned his affordable homes withstood that long.
Hello Mp and thanks for your question.

Eichler Homes are famous for their open designs, often centered around a landscaped courtyard, radiant heating and plethora of windows. Their design is not only interesting, it was darned near revolutionary in the 60s with the design working with the environment and utilizing some of the first "green" construction methods. As a result, the load and structure of the home is not like a typical building. Insurance companies used to call Eichlers the "7 minute home" because that's exactly how long it took the earlier models to burn to the ground, but advancements in their design and the use of radiant heating (rather than conventional open flame gas heating) increased both the safety and enjoyability of these homes.

Depending on how much work has been done to the home over its lifetime, it might be easy or difficult to modify the bathroom. You will need to speak with a contractor who specializes in Eichlers in order to determine if the wall surrounding the bathroom is supporting the roof structure or can be moved outward to add more room. Most likely (if these are the Eichlers near Remington and De Anza Park) you will be able to move the bathroom walls and remodel the home. Keep in mind, however, that a flat roofed Eichler (one without a slope in the roof as you might see on those Eichlers in Santa Clara) might be more problematic since many of the interior walls do support the roof structure.

Work with a qualified contractor who has experience and knowledge of the unique and beautiful Eichler home structures to help you determine if the property you want to buy can be modified. Check with your real estate professional as he/she will probably know of a Eichler knowledgeable contractor.

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty