Justin Ruzic…, Real Estate Pro in Fort Myers, FL

Is it helpful or hurtful of the misleading information on HGTV shows? For example, renovating a bath room for under $1,000.

Asked by Justin Ruzicka, Fort Myers, FL Mon Feb 7, 2011

For only $1,000 they do a complete tear out, replace and move plumbing, replace tub, and pedistal sink, new paint, new shevling, new tile floor to ceiling....and they have 3 different expert contractors doing the work??? tell me your thoughts?

Answers

14
Christopher Pagli’s answer
Hi, I think it all goes back to "you get what you pay for". I've heard the quality of materials is often lacking and they do re-use and re-vamp things as well. There is so much editing that goes on with these shows so it's hard to get the real picture. They give us what they want to and what they think the viewer wants.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
I love HGTV for many reasons. But.................I agree that it can help or hurt buyers and sellers. As an agent, renovator, redesign and stager, I have to chuckle at what they portray. I know that the amount they are quoting is just for materials and most likely at contractor's costs, but the average public does not. It can be a problem.

On the other hand, I like the fact that they give hope to people who cannot afford to buy a new home. It makes the public aware that there are other ways of turning a house into your dream home.
Web Reference: http://www.lindacefalu.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 7, 2011
I think that, while HGTV shows are interesting, they present an unrealistic idea of what a house buyer should be looking for when they buy a home or remodel a home. They want it move-in ready. I've watched the shows where the young first time buyer wants to take a perfectly functional kitchen and tear it all out because the cabinets aren't the color they want or the granite counter tops are too dark or too light. Then you hear the realtor say that for a few thousand dollars they can change this or that. As an older woman who has owned several homes in my life time, there is no perfect home and home improvements aren't cheap nor are they easy to do yourself. Instead of educating home buyers and home owners, it is doing just the opposite.
Unfortunately, HGTV is a joke and totally misleading. They should be ashamed of themselves. They play to an ignorant public.
As an architect that has to deal with REAL budgets, the shows are very hurtful. I just watched a program in which they installed new site-finished hardwood floors for $3,500 on about 1000 sf - totally unrealistic as was the rest of the renovation costs listed. Clients now think they can renovate an entire floor, custom kitchen, appliances and furniture for $40k - complete crap!
I think the show should have disclaimers at the end such as "actual prices may be higher if you need to pay for labor." What I do love about HGTV is how may of shows illustrate what a difference a coat of paint makes. They often recommended utilizing an used object and revamping and making it new. We all have seen homes where the owners have bought everything at garage or tag sales and their home looks great.
Hi, Justin,

Those shows do generate a lot of interest, but they give the impression that it is so easy. People jump in and find out too late that they don't know what they are doing. We've seen lots of "failed FLIPS" where the Flipper simply ran out of money, or did such bad work that the home was not habitable.

If you want to invest in rehab homes, find an agent who has lots of experience with that, AND who has a good strong list of contractors you can trust. (Contact me if you need a name.) You might even consider becoming an apprentice to a seasoned Flipper until you understand the process. Build a solid business plan, gather your "crew", understand that time is money, and start small.

The best book I've seen on the subject is FLIP by Rick Villani and Clay Davis. http://www.millionairesystems.com/msys/FLIP.html

Doc Stephens, REALTOR
What about you, Justin? Has it helped or hurt your business?
Hello Justin,
My thoughts are that the quotes for renovation work on these HGTV shows are definitely misleading. I believe that the contractor's work is gratis and that the home owners only pay for materials. It might be part of the agreement with HGTV so that they have an incentive to have their home and themselves featured on the program. I could be wrong but the price of the work quoted always seems very low when compared to "real life". Clients of mine that also watch the channel feel the same.
Thanks!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
There are many people that are perfectly capable of doing it themselves. I don't argue that HGTV is unrealistic in many aspects. However, it has given cause for discussion among many of my buyers. There are so many things that buyers of capable of doing, but have never given it a thought until we start the conversation. Granted, there are still some that choose not to for their own reasons, but some have thanked me for pointing them in the right direction.
Justin,

This question is soooo timely.

I just had a seller ask me about HGTV and what they should do.

I explained HGTV is ENTERTAINMENT and they get paid by their sponsors for creating entertainemnt for the viewers.

Selling your home is real life and we must use realistic techniques to sell your home.

Now lets get to work and get your home SOLD!
I used to watch these shows and I was amazed how they could accomplish renovations for so little money.
I found it unrealistic. Maybe $1,000 covers the cost of material, excluding contractor's work. I agree with Linda, it may give hope to people who may think to remodel with min. expenses, but I am realistic, and I don't see it happening unless you do the work yourself.
I think it is unrealistic. I partner with a contractor who can provide a detailed cost estimate to my clients who think they can do a renovation just like on t.v. Helps me not waste my time, and it provides a service to my clients. I may not make a quick sale, but my clients appreciate the honesty. More often than not, though, the contractor has helped me make the sale.
It is very helpful......it helps waste all my time with unrealstic buyers.

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.Bonita-Estero-RealEstate.com