Remodel & Renovate in 11418>Question Details

Joseph, Home Owner in 11418

Is it a good idea to moisture seal a basement floor?

Asked by Joseph, 11418 Sun Jan 22, 2012

I read in a home improvement forum that sealing a basement floor could lead to a great buildup of water pressure in the event of a flood, and foundation damage could result. For appearance alone on an unfinished basement floor, what coatings are safe and durable?

Answers

4
Rob Hughes’ answer
Your concerns are understood Joseph. Always verify with proven, qualified professionals on the best way to solve your issue. better to get the correct advice now then problems later. Someone experienced in coating floors would be your best bet. Like a contractor or floor sealing specialist.

Good Afternoon,

Rob
I don't have a current major water issue. I want to simply apply a safe product for appearance and cleanliness. I am concerned about coating the floor for the reasons I stated regarding water pressure build up.
If you have dampness issues it may be a good idea, however do consult with a few licensed local experts and see what is suggested/recommended; then go from there....
Joseph, better to have the basement water-proofed by a professional company, if it's a water penetration issue. It will cost a decent amount of money. However, any buyer would be pleased to know this has been handled and their wet basement days are a thing of the past. Nothing kills a sale faster than a wet basement from my experience. And in my locale of Pennsylvania 99% of the homes have basements.

Contact as many water-proofing companies as it takes until you are in agreement with their cost and work provided. You will not me sorry. The majority of my clients that see or smell a wet/on-going damp basement, rarely purchase those homes. If you are just trying to make the basement floor look fresh and clean, check with a local Home depot, or Lowe's type store and they should be able to guide you as to which product to use.

Best of luck,

Rob