Remodel & Renovate in Austin>Question Details

Amanda Novak, Home Owner in Austin, TX

Is it a bad idea to get rid of the bathtubs in the house?

Asked by Amanda Novak, Austin, TX Mon Mar 11, 2013

We have 3.5 baths. One master and two upstairs that are almost the same. Should we renovate them similarly or identically? I would take the bathtubs out of both and replace them with tiled showers with frameless glass doors. I'm just worried about resale value. Should we just take the bathtub out of one of the non-master baths? Asking for resale value.

Answers

12
I would recommend keeping at least one bathtub in the house, preferably the master. Personally, I would purchase a home without any bathtubs, but that is because I currently do not have children. If I had children, I would absolutely choose another home with at least one bathtub over one without.
I would keep the tubs, otherwise your three full baths turn into three 3/4 baths which is not as impressive or valuable. If you have room in the master add a stand alone shower. Reducing a homes features is not a way to add value. Good luck on your project!
I would remodel the master to have a garden or jacuzzi tub ( retro clawfoot tubs are big now too) and a separate glass or open shower if there is enough room. I don't think taking one of the tubs out of one of the other baths would hurt resale, but I don't think it would help either. I would just remodel both additional bathrooms the same as far as fixtures, counters, tubs, etc. Maybe update both with custom ceramic tile surrounds, and granite counters, faux finish, etc. Maybe different paint schemes. So basically, I would spend more time, energy and money on updating rather than pulling out tubs, installing stand alone showers, redirecting plumbing, permits, etc.....

Good luck to you. If you need a good contractor, I will be happy to refer one.
Everyone has said what I would have - at least one bathtub, in a secondary bath, is probably a good idea.
Do you have 2 bathtubs or 3?
I find that with the fabulous weather we have in Austin TX there's not much need for a bathtub however, people with little ones do appreciate them.
Just like others have mentioned, the walk-in luxury shower with multiple heads is the way to go for the master!
Good luck with your remodel!

Warm regards,

Lara Pavanelli
Vox Real Estate
512-909-5807
larapavanelli.realtor@gmail.com
Like others have indicated, keeping at least one bathtub is a good idea. Ideally, it will be one of the baths near the secondary bedrooms (those most likely to service the rooms kids would be in.) As for the master, a big luxury shower room is really popular now, and most adults prefer showers anyway.

Ron Cullinan
Avalar Austin
GRI, CRS, ABR, CLHMS, e-Pro
512-799-3239
austin_realtor@earthlink.net
http://www.austinonlinehomes.com
I would recommend keeping 1 tub in a secondary bathroom. A walk-in shower with multiple shower heads is very popular right now. However, for resale, 1 tub would suffice a future buyer with children, pets, etc.
You should definitely keep at least one in the house. As others have mentioned, some people prefer them, especially for children, the elderly, and pets. A shower tub combo would probably suffice. If you really want to modernize, put a jetted tub in one of the bathrooms as that is a key selling point nowadays…

Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Ranked #1 by Buyers and Sellers (JD Power & Assoc. 2012)
Call 512-261-4415
Most people want a bathtub. When you have that many bathrooms, some people want a shower and a tub in the same bath.... I would advise against removing the tub.
Hello Amanda,
Keep at least one bathtub in the home as any future owners with young children will want to use it to bathe them. Some dog owners also appreciate it.

Best wishes on your remodel!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
I am not sure I would say to keep two tubs, but I would sure say to make sure you have at least one tub.
Today, we are seeing master baths with larger walk-in showers. Many with double shower heads and built-in seats. You should keep at least 2 of the tubs in your home for those wanting to take a real bath and bath little ones.

When it comes time to sell, if you do a good job with the master bathroom you should be fine. You will have some to say, they want a tub. The majority will like the big walk-in shower.

Merry Ann Cutler
RE/MAX United
http://www.MerryAnn.com