Remodel & Renovate in 34288>Question Details

Mr.&Mrs. Mat…, Home Owner in North Port, FL

Is closing a patio in for protection against mosquitos worth loosing a beautiful view?

Asked by Mr.&Mrs. Matthew Hattaway, North Port, FL Fri Jul 29, 2011

Answers

14
That just depends on how much time you spend outside! And of course how many mosquitos there are. With the advent of newer screen materials and removable acrylic windows enclosing a lanai should not impede your view .
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 31, 2011
95% of my buyers WANT a lanai. They love the Florida weather, but detest the mosquito's ! Mosquito control has said they are the worst they've been in 10 years.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 1, 2011
Another option. Sun Room

Window Glass the area and put in a Slim Jim A/C. This gives you glass views, you can use 12 months a year, Cool bug free brezz when it's around, AC when it is not.

John
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 30, 2011
It would be good if you can utilize the patio area and capture the view also ….There are some great options for enclosing a patio area …screen companies have designs where they can enhance the view …one example I have seen is like picture frame… has no braces in the middle yet meets the code and it gives the effect of faming a view ….these type of encloses are used a lot in cape coral on waterfront homes to enhance the view of the water .You will need to contact a screen professional in your area .
John
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 30, 2011
That is a decision only you can determine. I would try getting an electronic bug zapper first and see if that helps before giving up a beautiful view. However, in warm humid climates that may not be enough. If you decide to screen in your patio I don't think your home will lose any value, screened in porches and patios are very common & you'll be able to be outside without getting bitten up by those pesty critters .
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 30, 2011
I did not read all of your responses, so this may be a duplication. I suggest enclosing the room while removing the wall between the new space and the existing space if this is possible. You will be incorporating the new space to enlarge the adjoining space preventing you from loosing the view. Depends on where the patio is located in relation to the room/rooms it is behind. With luck, they line up and you will wind up with a much larger family room.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 15, 2011
To me a view is priceless.
You have plenty of good answers here from some very good Agents. Screened lanai or enclose with larger window so as not to impede your view. Real question is difference in COSTs $. Good luck to you.
Jim Soda ... TheSodaGroup.com
Keller Williams Sarasota-Lakewood Ranch
Serving the Greater Sarasota Areas and Lakewood Ranch
941-809-7759
Web Reference: http://www.jimsoda.com
they can be very tasty-my family has been in the area for 140 years
How bad are the mosquitoes? This has been a pretty bad season for them. You could try using replants but if that does not work go for the screen. They have seamless ones that you can barley tell they are there.

Best of luck,
Nancy
Lanai is the way most in FL go and that preserves the view.

Jack Gillis, M.B.A., J.D.
Jack Gillis Realty Advisors
Nathan Grace Real Estate, Broker
5619 Dyer Street | Suite 100
Dallas, TX 75206
Cell: 214.718.4910
Email: Jack@JackGillisRealty.com
A screened lanai offers the protection and does not obscure the view. You will utilized the area in the screened lanai much more and enjoy it.
Jim Soda - TheSodaGroup.com
Keller Williams Realty Sarasota-Lakewood Ranch
sodasells@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://www.jimsoda.com
You may want to look into other alternatives to deter mosquitoes. I remember once, while on vacation in some tropical destination, New Orleans or something, a device that used propane to keep mosquitoes away and it was very effective. There are also some plants that are said to repel mosquitoes.

I am an outdoors person, not athletic but in summer, here in New Jersey, you will generally find me outdoors and I LOVE my view. I know how pesky Florida mosquitoes can be, but if you just want an opinion and nothing else, see if there is another way. And if not, then find the least obstructive screening material you can and put up the screen.
That's a personal choice that only you can answer. Some screening is less opaque so try different types of sceens before you select one.