Philip, Renter in Arvada, CO

In terms of resale is it worth converting a 4th bedroom into a bathroom and having en suite master bath?

Asked by Philip, Arvada, CO Fri Oct 26, 2012

I have a two story (4 bedrooms, full bath and 1 3/4 bath upstairs and 1 bedroom 1/2 bath downstairs) traditional home and am considering remodeling and combining the full bath and 1 3/4 bath into a master en suite bath but then make a full bath from the smaller of the bedrooms. Good for resale? Bad idea?

Answers

6
Philip,

If your neighborhood is more suited for families that need 4 bedrooms, this would not be a good idea. Often that extra bedroom will make a lot more difference in better resale value. It also sounds like you would go to quite a bit of expense to make these changes that would not likely get you the return on investment that you are seeking.

http://www.RobertMcGuireHomes.com
I think it all depends on how long you are planning on staying in the home before selling it. If you are planning on selling in the next year or two I do not think you will get your money back out of it. However if you are planning on selling in 3-4 years + it could make sense.
Hello Phillip. I was a General Contractor for 10 years before becoming a Realtor, so I have a unique perspective. If your neighborhood appeals mainly to family buyers (as most neighborhoods in Arvada do), I would not eliminate a bedroom for a Master Suite bathroom. First reason: you would, at best, get 70-80% return on the money spent on the remodel. So $20,000 spent would only return $14,000 - $16,000 to you. Second reason: having 3 bedrooms really limits your market in a family neighborhood. Please call me at 303-994-5815 or email me at kwdenverhomes@gmail.com if I can be of any service. Good luck!
I think is sounds like a good idea. Especially since you have a 4th room downstairs you could use as a guest bedroom. People are looking for an ensuite, perhaps more closet space could be incorporated as well.

Remember, remodel for you at this point in time if you plan to stay, but don't use too trendy of a finish. Think classic, functional and well finished. Pull the permits if you need too, I know many people are looking for those now in offers to purchase.

Good luck to you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 27, 2012
Hi Philip, I live in Lakewood and I do a lot of business in Arvada. It's hard to say without seeing the house, but it sounds like the idea you have could definitely have some improvement on the value. I am doing an open house in Arvada tomorrow(Saturday) and I would be happy to stop by and give you my 2 cents:) Call me any time!!
You can't please everyone but I personally like your idea for future resale because I bet that small bedroom would be more useful as a bathroom. Who doesn't enjoy the idea of a master en suite.