Remodel & Renovate in 27613>Question Details

suzboswell, Home Buyer in Raleigh, NC

In 18 mths we’ll sell single story, 1995, open concept home. Carpets need replacing-laminates or hardwood? Comps sellt 215-260k. Investment return?

Asked by suzboswell, Raleigh, NC Thu Jun 21, 2012

We've already updated kitchen (granite) and updated all finishings in bathrooms. Thank you for responses!

Answers

4
Laminates MAY decrease value of homes. especially cheap laminate the sound like plastic when you walk on them.

High quality hard wood prefinished floors or truthfully REAL HARD WOOD would be the preferred flooring.

now just replace carpet and wood flooring does not always mean MORE value. In most cases it is bring the home UP TO market expectations.

a few other questions:

What is the sq ft of this home?

bedroom numbers
FULL and 1/2 bath numbers
Lot size
garage?

you say up UPGRADED the kitchen to granite, but how are the cabinets?

bath Cabinets?

if the cabinets are the original 1995 or NEW?

cant really put granite over the original kitchen cabinets.

if the comps are 215-260K and your house is of similar quality then that is what it will sell for.

IMO I have been rehabing and selling these homes for 20 years. The goal is ALWAYS bring the home UP TO market expectations, ( comps ) then sell for a little less for a quick sale.

Good Luck

Tom
Allen Tate Realty
http://www.allentate.com/tombohlmann
I prefer real wood.... laminates can be loud and noisy when walked on as compared to real wood, especially if the house is built over a crawl space. I have them in the dining room of the home we recently bought and my wife is already looking at replacing them with real wood floors for this very reason. We can hear the clicking of our dogs nails everytime they are in the dining room. As an agent, I have had people actually ask for real wood floors and have those balk when they look at homes with laminates.

Based upon the appraisals I have seen, I have seen credit given for real hardwoods but don't recall ever seeing any for laminates.
Suz,

Laminates often look very cheap and turn some people off. Personally, I prefer real wood and I think most people will prefer nice hardwoods, and that would make it easier to sell the house, and command a wee bit higher price.

To analyze the return on the cost, you need to see what the costs are. Of course, wood will be more, but how much more?
You can shop closeouts at places like Lumber Liquidators and often get great deals on small lots of real wood.
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/home.jsp?Wt.ps_id=PS_msn_1003

If you decide to go with laminate flooring, consider going with good quality flooring and not the cheapo stuff you can buy in the aisles of the big boxes for a buck a square foot from time to time. It usually looks awful.
.
As far as Laminate vs Hardwood; I was very happy with Pergo.

As far as INVESTMENT RETURN, I would say yes, you will. Buyers prefer it over carpet.

Good luck in 2014.