John Morris, Real Estate Pro in Smyrna, GA

In a $600,000 house, if it has a stall shower, which would be a better value more closet space or a whilrpool tub? Let me know.

Asked by John Morris, Smyrna, GA Mon Feb 15, 2010

I have a cleint who is remolding their masterbath. They have a stall shower, double vanity, whirlpool tub and average walk in closets. They are thinking of taking out the tub and adding additional closet space. Is more closet space a better value then smaller closet space and a whilrpool tub?

Answers

8
John
TUB.... Clearly the winner, well at least in my book. That price point it better have a tub, whirl pool... even better. Get some lavender and through it in and perhaps they will forget the closet is smaller . There are creative ways to get more closet space.
John, in my market I get asked all of the time "where's the bath tub?" when a house only has a shower. It's a huge turn-off. Don't know about down yonder but up here in Yankee land you'd be killing the value if you removed the tub in order to add more closet space.
I have no use for a bathtub. Almost all of the women seem to want one. When a married couple comes in guess what the wife wants? A TUB!!!

Whirlpool, regular, no difference except for being fancy but it has to have a tub. I would personally never remove a tub from a house if I wanted to resell it. Storage space is nice, but you can always add more closets outside of the bathroom.

On second thought, Over a half million$$$ It better have the whirlpool. It is to expensive not to. Even a $60k doublewide has a whirlpool tub in it.
My vote's in........keep the tub!
John,

In that price point I would leave the bath as is and look into a closet system for their average walk in closet space. This would create more utility for storage and uniformity while beautifying the space simultaneously. This should also add value when they decide to market their home with you.
You never know what a buyer wants as far as a shower or tub. I would leave both.
John,

At that price point I would not suggest removing the Whirlpool tub in the master bath. Only if the closets are small, but you day they are average.
if it were me I would want a bigger shower and closet. However, people like the tub so I'm afraid it would hurt resale to remove it. If there is another tub on the same floor, maybe. . .