Remodel & Renovate in 89138>Question Details

Ben, Home Buyer in 94110

In LV, I noticed during my house hunt that homes ( looking at homes built 2003-present) don't have a side access door in the garage. Why is that?

Asked by Ben, 94110 Fri Oct 1, 2010

In Southern California where I'm coming from, homes built from the mid 1990's-present have side access doors in the garages. We usually have our trash bins by the side of the house and we go in and out using the side door in our garage. Did builders simply not offer this option? or does this have to do with other issues such as a building code or rodent control perhaps? This side access door in the garage is something I'm thinking about adding when I buy a house. Please explain. Thanks.

Answers

8
Hi Ben,

Working for a homebuilder for the last 13 years and now handling the sales side, the responses below are pretty accurate. I would like to add that while yes, a homebuilder offers this item as an option it is due largely to the additional costs and engineering that are impounded with this item. When installing an access door to thje exterior of the home, there is additional work that needs to be done for the protection of the structure of the house. Normally where the placement of this door is installed there is what we call a Sheer Wall which helps the strength of the home structure and any change to that wall can cause a weakness, so there needs to be a revision to the design of that wall so that the integrity of the structure will stay intact.
I hope this information was helpful and if at any time I can be of any assistance to any questions relating to any real estate in general. please do not hesitate to contact me.

Maria L. Morales, Realtor
Keller William Realty Southern Nevada
(702) 286-2464
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 2, 2010
Hi Ben,

Here in Mesquite NV they call it a 'man door' - most new homes offer it as an upgrade for about $700 which includes a small square of cement outside the door. It will cost you more to add it later, if you are buying a new home, be sure to ask about it - don't assume it comes standard just because you see it in the model.

Some HOAs may not approve of this modification on an existing home - be sure to have your agent check on that for you before you purchase a new or resale home.

Virginia Hepp
I own of house in 89138 that was built in 2004 and it has a side access door in the garage. This was optional from the builder and a fairly expensive option (about $700). I choose the option because I think it makes sense. It seems to be a rare option at least in my neighborhood.

In Summerlin the HOA does not like you to store the trash cans on the side of the house if they can be seen from the street. The trash cans need to be hidden from sight unless it is trash day.

Ron Johnson
REALTOR
Elite Realty
(702) 595-9743
Side service doors to garages are not standard in Las Vegas. They are an upgrade in most cases and in some, not even an option. I purchased my home in 2000 and had to pay $500 for the upgrade. It was well worth it since that is were i park my RV!!! However, i know that many HO do not like the side door and see it as a security issue.

Valerie Edwards, REALTOR
Borker/Salesperson
RRG, SRS, SFR, SRES, RSPS, ABR, GREEN, ATHOM
Premier Real Estate
INFO@AgentValerie.com
(702) 371-5533
Buying a house is a lot like buying other consumer items. When you look at buying a car your budget allows for certain luxury add ons. A garage service door is one of those items. The builder (or Buyer) can add the feature as an option or standard and add to the price. What sets the price point if not luxury add ons?
Ben,

Yes it would be great for the builders to include that option especially for accessing the garbage bins. From what I know when I put in one a long time ago, the licensed contractor had to pull a permit and in addition, I had to submit plans to the home owner's association for their approval.

Web Reference: http://www.nvroy.com
Hi Ben,
It's a paid "option" for the buyer thru the builder. You are right though there is many homes that were purchased during that time frame. It's an easy fix though!
Great question! Enjoy this wet rainy unexpected day in Vegas!
Dolly
Ben, not adding a side access door to the garage was probably just a preference of the builder. For one thing, it's an easy way to cut an unnecessary cost. Seeing as how most of the homes in Las Vegas are build close together and there isn't a whole lot going on with the side of the house anyways, it probably made sense to the builder not to add side access doors to the garages. As far as I know there are no building codes prohibiting side access doors and I don't see any reason why there would be a problem installing one in the home you are in.