Bradfitz76, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Im on the top floor with exclusive roof rights of 3-flat zoned RT-4 here in Chicago. I was thinking about putting a room on the roof.Can I?

Asked by Bradfitz76, Chicago, IL Sat May 28, 2011

I would like to add a living room and maybe a bedroom. I am trying to increase my property value. Can I legally put a room on the roof? I live on the 3rd floor and already have a rooftop deck, but would like to enclose a room up there.

Answers

2
It will depend on whether your declaration and bylaws will allow it. If it does, then you will have to check and see if the finished height will exceed the 38 feet allowed by RT4. If it exceeds 38 feet, you will need a variance. If the city and your architect think that this is doable, you will have to have the condo ownership ratio redrawn to reflect your increase in square footage. This may affect your assessment and taxes as well. Make sure that you speak with an attorney and architect before moving forward.

Attorney Ranj Mohip is a Chicago real estate attorney. The information in this answer is general information and is not intended as legal advice. Further, answering this question or otherwise contributing as a member of Trulia.com does not create an attorney-client relationship. Remember--consult the best real estate attorney in Chicago or in your respective area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 29, 2011
You probably can. However there are lots of issues to consider. Since increasing your property value is a primary concern, how much this will cost is a major consideration. I will list some points to consider. Do not consider this a complete list.
- You would likely need approval from the Condo Board, in writing, legally binding. Have an attorney draw up everything. No sense in wasting money if the Board won't go along.
- Structural (joist) load is different for occupancy space than a deck. Joist/truss size and load capacity at the roof level would need to be verified and/or upgraded for full occupancy. This would be one of your major costs.
- The overall structure would also need to be verified for the extra load.
- You would need at least two means of egress from this level regardless of square footage because it is more than 2 levels above grade.
- Height limitations may apply
- Get an architect to do an initial review.
Hope that helps
Web Reference: http://www.aic-chicago.com