Remodel & Renovate in 04479>Question Details

Djdova, Home Owner in 04479

If I finish a 24x24 building on my property into a complete 1 or 2 bedroom living area complete with kitchen and bath add value. I live in Maine.

Asked by Djdova, 04479 Mon Jan 10, 2011

Trying to add value to my home. Valued at $140000 when i purchased it in 2008, 3 bedroom ranch, 1 bath, full basement(unfinished, not a walk out). 5 acres. I'm just not sure since the building i want to finish is not attached to the house if they will consider it part of the house when its finished living space. i live in Central/Northern Maine. There are similar houses that value $20k to $40k more than my house in this area, but I'm just not sure if this will count as added living space if its not part of the main building.

Answers

3
You need confer with the city IF they would even allow this type of structure COULD involve permits and etc.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Before considering finishing the building, do check with you local town regarding any possible necessary permits--as for any added value--consider inviting a few local agents and ask their opinion--then make your determination...
Dear Djdova,

Alot depends on the value of home similiar to yours in the area. Contact a local Reatlor to have a market comparision done for you - typically free of charge.

Maureen