Remodel & Renovate in 19143>Question Details

The_wza, Home Owner in Cobbs Creek, Philade...

I was told my 4th BR would have to be considered a den because it doesn't have a closet, however NONE of my BRs have closets. How is this?

Asked by The_wza, Cobbs Creek, Philadelphia, PA Thu Feb 10, 2011

Hannah Angert’s answer
I'm a Philadlephia Realtor - it is extremely common for Philadlephia row homes to lack closets in bedrooms. My experience with appraisals has been that a room with a WINDOW & DOOR is considered a bedroom. My advice would be to call a local appraiser's office and ask this question to verify.

Hannah Angert
William Festa Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 10, 2011
Dear Home Owner,
Unfortunately, there is no "uniform" definition of a bedroom. You also don't say whether the bedroom is above or below grade. For instance, under FHA lending and appraisal standards, if the bedroom is below grade, and the window sill is higher than 44 inches from the floor and lacks a net clear opening of at least 24" x 36", the appraiser may not consider the room a bedroom. No mention is made of a closet in FHA standards. Alternatively, local jurisdiction and custom, as well as residential building codes, may have requirements for what constitutes a bedroom. For example, requirements might include adequate area to accommodate a bed and other bedroom furniture; privacy, such as a door; an emergency exit, such as a window with adequate clearance, and a closet. But in neighborhoods with older homes built prior to WWII, it would not be uncommon for bedrooms to lack a closet. In that case, it would depend upon the comparable properties as to what constitutes a bedroom. In other words, there is no "definition" of what constitutes a "bedroom," and unfortunately, it might depend on several factors. You should ask for an explanation, and take a look at the comparable properties used for the evaluation. Alternatively, check out and see if you can get more information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 10, 2011
I have sold a lot of homes in univ city in the same condition. Its common that old homes at furniture not closets. If I can help give me a call.
I am in an area with older homes and we frequently see older homes with no closets. If it LOOKS like a bedroom then it's a bedroom, in my area. That's just my region.
Oh thank you Hannah, I really appreciate all the feedback so far but I'm not selling just refinancing. And it's been a total pain in the butt so far! It started with a very negative experience with lending tree (total scammers, btw) and now I'm just learning how clueless I am about this whole process. The nursery makes complete sense (but you should see the walk-in closet feature!) ;)

I just want to get a good better interest rate and decent appraisal for the amount of work we've done on our home and I don't know how that is determined in a neighborhood like mine where there are total shells next to newly rehabbed homes. And the whole reason I wanted to refi in the first place was to get some extra cash to fix the remaining cosmetics on the outside of the house (that are likely dragging my appraisal down in the first place.)

What a vicious cycle!

Thanks again for the help. What neighborhood do you represent, primarily?

I just wrote you a response that got "eaten" by the computer! Don't you absolutely hate that?!

I would love to talk to you if you aren't already represented. Please call me at my office tomorrow. I have no problem selling your twin as a 4 BR. Price it right and sell it fast. You'd have to work with me though by staging the room as a room and sacrificing your "closet" while showing your home.

A the the time your house was built, by the way, the room we're talking about would have been the nursery. The other bedrooms would be used by grandparents and older children. Turning the basement into a bedoom is a much more recent phenomenon.

Hannah Angert, Realtor®
PA License RS-295442
Cell/Text 215.869.9571
Office 215.271.3000
Fax 215.271.0988

William Festa Realty
3001 S. Sydenham St.
Philadelphia, PA 19145
These are 100 year old homes (mine is technically a twin, not a row) but all 4 bedrooms have both windows and doors. One room has one of those old, oak armoires built in and that is the closest thing to a closet than any of them currently have.

The back two rooms in the house are adjoined and we basically use one room as a bedroom and the smaller of the two as a walk-in closet since they are connected (therefore neither of them has a closet within the room per se, either). But for the sake of the appraisal I'm wondering what I would have to do/modify to make each room legitimately a bedroom. But thanks Hannah, I'll try the appraisal company and see if they have specific measurements or other parameters for closets that I need to adhere to in order to bring up the value. I just don't see how the appraiser could make the justification for one room without making it for ALL FOUR.

How do you have bedrooms w/o closets. IN some instances master bedroom with attached bath will have a closet located in bathroom.

Confer with tax rolls.

None fact no closet in bedroom UNLESS they are large suites with attached baths would not be consider as a bedroom

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors