rfedeleo, Home Buyer in Staten Island, NY

I want to add a second floor as well as extend my house. I want to save money but still use a licensed contractor. Will contractors be willing...?

Asked by rfedeleo, Staten Island, NY Sat May 10, 2014

Will contractors be willing to do an extension just up to say sheetrock walls and plywood floors. Or are they required by code to finish the entire project. My goal is to do the finish work myself.

Answers

1
My other business is a remodeling company. Generally, we charge more when the homeowner wants to do work.

All kidding aside, depending upon the scope of work, many contractors are willing to partner with homeowners to help keep costs down. This is especially true with my company when the customer is in the trades and wants help with areas they are neither licensed for nor experienced at performing.

My recommendation is to talk with the general contractor you intend to hire and see what you may be able to do in the project. So long as what you do does not affect their payment and is excluded from any warranty you expect from them, they may go along with it.

With that said, it's often better to let the contractors do what they do, while you do what you do for a living.

Ron Krauch
Emerald Estates Realty, Inc. Pro Home Improvements

http://www.EmeraldEstatesRealty.com