Remodel & Renovate in 95014>Question Details

Hemadri, Home Buyer in 95014

I recently bought a town home which already has gas connection established to the Garage for home heating.

Asked by Hemadri, 95014 Tue Dec 29, 2009

I would like to extend the connection to kitchen to replace electric stove. Do I need a permit? How long will it take to get the permit? What is the city contact details?

Help the community by answering this question:


2009 questions are great feeds.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 4, 2013
Yes, you'll want to get both an HOA approval and a City permit and have a licensed plumber do the work. Part of the plumbers fee is based by how far the new line needs to travel. If the garage is 5 feet from the stove that will be less expensive than if it is 25 feet away.

Visit Cupertino City Hall, 10300 Torre Avenue, Cupertino, CA 95014 or call 408-777-3200 to get more details on the permit and process.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 4, 2013
Always a good idea to get the appropriate permits, and inspections.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 2, 2013
Thanks for asking this, we just came up on a very similar situation. We're trying to get a permit for additional gas line installation in Aurora Colorado.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 2, 2013
Go to Cupertino City Hall, 10300 Torre Avenue, Cupertino, CA 95014-3202 (408-777-3200) and ask for a plumbing permit. The permit application should take about 15 minutes. Grace is correct - you will likely have to run this project by the HOA.

Questions that may come up: Will the current gas sizing be affected by an additional gas line? In other words, every pipe in your current home has been sized for specific cubic feet/BTU input and you may have to run a new pipe from the gas meter to the kitchen. Will you be using CSST, galvanized or black iron material? Will the gas shut-off valve be readily accessible? Typically, the building inspector wants to see your piping hold at least 10 psi for no less than 15 minutes.

It sounds complicated, but most plumbing contractors can knock this out in a few hours.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 30, 2009
Hello Hemadri and thanks for your question.

Short answer...yes, you will need a permit for such work in the City of Cupertino.

First, you'll need the architectural approval of the homeowners association to install another line or to extend the line into the garage. The reason, of course, is that you will need access under the homes, and if this is the case, you may need access across several lots, which can involve the homeowners association. Talk with them first to see if they can agree to the gas line extension.

Next, you'll contact the Building and Planning Department of the City of Cupertino. Their telephone number is 408-777-3200 and you can ask for the Building Department or go to the City Hall on Torre and talk with a planner at the department. They'll have you fill out some paperwork, provide plans, and specs (drawn, hopefully, by your installer) and you'll need to give them a copy of the approval from the homeowners association. There will be a permit fee and the City will inspect the job before issuing a permit. This is a good thing because you certainly don't want problems, such as fires or gas leaks due to the installation. Depending on the amount of work required, the entire process (permit application/installation/inspection/issuance of permit) can take just a few weeks to complete.

Give the City a call for more information. Good luck!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
Cupertino, CA
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 29, 2009
Hi Hemadri, Congratulations on your new home.

I would highly recommend that you apply for a permit to do the gas/electric conversion. You may be advised of the lack of importance if the contractor can do the work "up to code". What is up to code? Let the city building inspector determine that during construction!!!!

The web reference below is where you will apply for the permit.... from the ' I want to..' tab. I did not link directly because It is not responding for me (timing out).

Since this upgrade could be considered a safety significant item, I would recommend a licensed contractor be used if you are not skilled in black pipe plumbing. This contractor will obtain the permit and get the final for you to file for future disclosure.

Permits, of this nature, are easily obtained in a matter of a day or two. The work,depending on the location of your kitchen in relation to your garage, may only take a day. Waiting for the inspector to give you a final may take longer than the actual construction time.

Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 29, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer