Remodel & Renovate in 01887>Question Details

Jennifer, Home Seller in 01887

I own a house that is 2203 sq ft. There are 4 bedrooms (all the same size) and 2 small bathrooms. The main bathroom upstairs is VERY small. Should I?

Asked by Jennifer, 01887 Mon Apr 26, 2010

I own a house that is 2203 sq ft. There are 4 bedrooms (all the same size) and 2 small bathrooms. The main bathroom upstairs is VERY small. Should I take over one of the 4 bedrooms to make bathroom larger? Will this increase or decreaese home value going from a 4 bedroom to a 3 bedroom? Thanks

Answers

9
That's a tough call. There probably is a "better" answer for you, but I've seen similar situations where the right answer would be to take over one of the bedrooms . . . and other situations where the better answer would be to keep it as a 4 bedroom. It depends, in large part, on what potential buyers are looking for in Wilmington.

Is there any possibility of extending the back wall--adding on maybe 5 feet to that area of the house--to expand the bath? I've seen this done a lot, especially with Cape Cods. Or extending the bath into unused attic space? Or maybe expanding the bathroom slightly, taking some space away from one of the bedrooms. Or--if the upstairs bath only opens at the moment onto a hallway--creating a second opening into a bedroom, making that bedroom the "master bedroom." Then possibly installing an area on the facing wall, perhaps with a double sink, or some other bathroom-like amenities--so that the master bedroom not only has direct access to the bath, but there's some additional items (like a vanity) on the side of the bedroom, thus making the bath more functional.

So: Check with a Realtor on what buyers expect in Wilmington. Your Realtor may be able to give you some suggestions like the ones I mentioned above. Or you might want to get a contractor in there (after getting feedback from a Realtor) to price out a few different options.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 26, 2010
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
There are many variables to consider. Such as:

How much of the bedroom will you take? Will it still be a functional bedroom?
How much will the renovation cost?
What is a 3 bedroom with 2 baths worth vs a 4 bedroom with 2 baths worth?

I would consult a local Realtor and have them run some numbers.

The next questions to ask yourself, is what do you want? and how long will you be in the house? Long term it wont make a difference to you. My guess is the cost of the renovation and the loss of the bedroom will not justify the cost of doing the renovation.
Web Reference: http://www.thehousewiz.com
Hi Jennifer....

"Small" is very subjective. Have a Realtor go through and see if there are any ways to enhance other areas to make the room look bigger. I dont know your intentions but if you can get the value without spending any money, than that would be my route.

Best of luck

ryan@ryancovino.com
Jennifer:

If you plan on staying in your home for a long time then it would not be bad to take a bedroom away to make your baths for spacious. In this situation you will have the opportunity to enjoy the new space, and in time the market will appreciate to the point where you should recoup your money. If your looking at a shorter turn around then I might be more cautious, but overall people are having smaller families and the need for 4 beds is less. Best
Definitely leave the house as a 4 bedroom. Be sure the bathrooms are clean and show well and price the house properly for what it has. Renovating before a sale with a project that big may not gain you anything but a headache!
Web Reference: http://www.mdmrealtyinc.com
I would first talk to a builder and determine if you need to loose one of the bedrooms or can you take the space from one or more and leave four there. 4 is better than 3.
Hi Jennifer,
In my opinion, you are better off to leave the house as a four bedroom. Many buyers screen their home search by number of bedrooms. You will have a larger buyer pool if you have four bedrooms as well as keeping your home's value.
If you have any other questions, let me know.
Lisa Pijoan
Wilson Wolfe Real Estate
That is a tough question, Jennifer! You should really discuss this with a real estate professional in your area. He or she will be able to help you break down the Cost versus Return on Investment (ROI). It will vary by geographic area. Some buyers want four bedrooms. Others want large bathrooms. It's really hard to say but the square footage of your house sounds great! You should be able to work something out!

Judy Boyle
RE/MAX Signature Properties
Marlborough, MA
Hi Jennifer,

Your 1st step is to contact a qualified marketing agent that serves you area. This agent will advise you if the subject neighborhood is selling with 3 or 4 bedrooms. Typically you want to be on par with homes in your neighborhood.

Feel free to contact me, to discuss your situation. I can research the MLS and discuss the pro's and con's of your potential project.

I also have a FREE website that allows homeowners to track their value. (it also shows the number of bedrooms of homes in your neighborhood) Just click on the link to sign up.

Jeff