Remodel & Renovate in 10023>Question Details

Mcuws, Both Buyer and Seller in 10023

I'm rennovating my Upper West side 1 br apt. For the bathroom, I'm considering putting in a stall shower in lieu of a tub. Will that?

Asked by Mcuws, 10023 Sun Apr 10, 2011

effect resale?

Answers

19
I kind of think the poster probably made that decision already - considering this question was asked in April of 2011!!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 21, 2013
Yes. By converting from a tub to only a shower stall you will be limiting your target audience in a future resale. Families with small children need homes with a bathtub.
Yet, there are buyers whose personal preference is for a bathroom with a spacious shower stall and frameless glass shower doors. It makes the bathroom feel larger and more luxurious.
Tub or shower stall, if the bathroom is tastefully renovated, you will not have problems selling.
Good Luck,
Rebecca Rogers
Licensed RE Salesperson
Corcoran
Rebecca.Rogers@corcoran.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 20, 2013
she is renovating a 1 bedroom, I doubt "families with small children" will be buying 1 bedroom units unless they are big enough, and configured, to allow a pressurized wall to be put up to create a 2nd bedroom....and if the building will allow it
Flag Sat Dec 21, 2013
For a 1 bedroom it will not affect the value much if at all.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
If this is a quality job and will make BA look more spacious and modern, it is a good idea. If you are targeting international buyers, they may be used to having a tub, especially Europeans...
hello Mcuws,

Whether you renovate your bathroom with a tub or a shower, it is all a matter of taste.
So many people are looking and there will be people who would prefer either or.
For instance, I have a couple that is looking for only a shower and no bathtub. They are thinking as they get older than it would be easier for them to get out of the shower. On the other hand, i have a couple with kids that prefer a bathtub, so they can give their kids a bath every night and it is quite relaxing for the children. So to answer your question, it is all a matter of taste and it all depends which audience you are targeting. Frankly, if the bathroom is well done, then the apartment will not have any problem selling.
Best of luck
Fern Hamberger
Vice President Asso Brker
fhamberger@corcoran.com
Corcoran
Interesting question! I recently showed condos to a couple from Turkey who were looking to invest and sublet and they were surprised that they all had bathtubs and stated that if they bought they would replace the tub with a shower stall, as apparently that is the custom in Turkey! They kept asking who takes a bath and I tried to diplomatically tell them that many do. I kept forgetting to ask them if people still bathe in large baths in Turkey as the term "Turkish baths” is stuck in my head..LOL! I lost touch with them after they returned home but after doing some research did discover that in fact, it is common in Turkey and what they will do instead, is have a washing machine installed in the bathroom.. Now that might not be a bad idea in Manhattan especially if you are in a walk-up or if there is no in house washer and dryer. But still I myself do enjoy a nice bubble bath on occasion, as I think do many ladies..

Jolie Muss
Licensed Real Estate Broker & Brokerage
"The Upper West Side's Buyer Broker"
331 Columbus Avenue, New York, NY 10023
Office: 212 721-3301 Email: broker@joliemuss.com
Website: http://joliemuss.com Trulia: http://www.trulia.com/profile/jolie
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jojomuss LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/joliemuss
If you only have one bathroom in this one bedroom apartment, then removing the tub and replacing it with a stall shower will definitely affect resale--and it won't be a good effect for you.

People don't soak in their bathtubs often, or sometimes at all, but I have worked with buyers who refused to make an offer on an apartment because there was no bathtub.

I would advise against removing the bathtub if your goal is to maximize the value of your apartment at resale.

Karla Harby
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
kharby@crrnyc.com
917-365-0876
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 17, 2011
This is simple: if you are not planning to sell your apartment soon, get the tub out. If not, keep it.
Think of it this way. How many potential buyers would refuse to buy your apt b/c it has a tub/shower combo vs how many potential buyers would find it unacceptable to not have a tub. I think common sense will tell you that the latter will be a much higher number. If you plan to be there for the long-haul though, probably won't matter if at some point you have to renovate/fix it up again.
Hi Mc, Does the tub look terrible? Does it need a re-glazing? I'll agree with Mitchell. Location will be a major factor in a resale but lose a tub and you'll likely lose many potential customers. Remember that this renovation is being done for yourself and not for a possible buyer down the road. For all you know if after selling, a new owner might just put back in a tub, so you've done nothing more than hand them a bill. This bill may be reflected in the offer amount. Replace it if needed but keep the tub, bub. Good luck.
I personally did just that - took out the bath-tub and put in a stall shower - wish I could have both though!
Ideally it is best to have both but most Upper West Side bathrooms are not big enough for both. You can always take a shower in a tub but you can't take a bath in a shower stall. It is still considered a full bath.

Having said that, I currently have a 1 bedroom condo listing in contract (closing tomorrow) on UWS 10023 with a renovated bath that only has a shower stall. There were multiple bids and it sold quickly.

Location, location, location!
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
It's really a matter of personal preferences, therefore do whatever makes your living there more enjoyable; don't worry too much about future resale....
Hi, it depends on who will be buying your place when you sell. The bathroom would be considered a full bath with a standing stall shower. I find that many buyers are ok without a tub especially if the shower is spacious.

Chris
While there are definitely buyers who would like the option of having a tub, a nicely renovated bathroom with a stall shower can make the bathroom feel bigger and more luxurious. If your apartment is a convertible to a two bedroom, you would want to leave the tub for potential buyers who may be planning to or already have kids.
Yes - on paper it looks like a half bathroom instead of a full bathroom.

Look at your area comparables for the exact size of your apartment and see what the majority of comparables in your area have - a half bathroom or a full bathroom?

Andrew Quezada
andrew@aqhomeloan.com
626.825.6565
Web Reference: http://www.AQHomeLoan.com
I would suggest putting in both- you'd be surprised how many people choose an apartment because of the bathroom and/or kitchen.
I suggest, if possible a full bath which would include a tub as well. That will definitely help with resaid
Thank
Barry Salottolo
Owner broker
All Points Realty
Manhattan Connecticut and Westchester
barrysalottolo@gmail.com
Mcuws,
My honest opinion based upon a lot of experience is that yes, if you renovate in a way that you will have a shower and no tub, that will affect resale because many people like to have both. In many new developments what they do when there is more than one bathroom is give one a shower and one a tub. If this is your only bathroom in your 1-BR apt, as I suspect, you really should have both a shower and a tub. Even people who regularly shower might occasionally want to take a bath if they are sore from a hard workout, or for a variety of other reasons. Better to renovate in a way that the most possible buyers will be drawn to your unit, rather than have a reason to eliminate it from their search.

Hope this helps.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@hasltead.com
212 381-4268
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com for all NYC listings