Remodel & Renovate in Queens>Question Details

Casey, Home Owner in New York, NY

I'm planning to re-build a three-family house. Zoning restriction states that rear yard has to be 30 feet, but my land is only 30 wide and 64

Asked by Casey, New York, NY Tue May 3, 2011

depth... I plan to demolish my single-family house and re-build a three-family house on the lot...My lot size is only 30 x 64 feet, a R7B zone. I checked NYC.GOV website, it has to be at least 5 feet front yard and 30 feet rear yard...My lot is only 64 yards depth, do this restriction still apply? Which mean I could only build a house on 30 x 30 lot? Does anyone familiar with NYC Zoning please help! Much appreciated!

Help the community by answering this question:



There are few things you need to check into.

1. Probably best option is to just renovate the curent house with option to extend to the max sf and that you can check on DOB web site

2. You can build a new house that will be 30x30 like you said yet the total sf of the house can be maximized by going with maybe more floors

Iam invest and work with investors who do this every day I can give you more info over the phone when I'll have more info on the specific property and how to find the info you need.

At the end anyway you need an architect to build or change the house so one will give you the most accurate info and some options for exceptions.

You can call me at 347-510-1616 Sam.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 3, 2011
Hi Casey, There are so many variables- do check with an architect that really knows his business-I know a few. like Jonathan said may be better to rebuild on the the original structure as modification-the same restrictions do not apply since the building is already erected-you would need to keep the original foundation (could enlarge) and 1 original wall -will keep your taxes lower and if you are within 60 feet of a corner- the 30 feet can be waived....many many variables. Terry K 718-614-3167 cell or email me
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 3, 2011
My name is Evy Lin 718-730-5177 I have been a Realtor for many years and I am associated with builders and architects. If you have any questions you can always call me, Im a friendly neighborhood Realtor...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 3, 2011
You really need to investigate further with the building's department regarding any restrictions, permits, etc., and as already stated you may wish to consult with an architect for building plans....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 3, 2011
We as realtors are not the best to answer you must speak to an architect got get an exact figures before you start investing your time and money good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 3, 2011
Typically you would need a variance allowing the new structure to be built. but that may be tough since it is New Construction. You may be better of converting your single family into a 3 family through a renovation loan. The best source to anser your questions is the local building department. They can direct you in the best way to proceed. Good Luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 3, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer