Remodel & Renovate in Hudson>Question Details

Levi, Other/Just Looking in Hudson, NH

I'm going to finish my basement, is it worth paying the $5000 or so to put in a bathroom?

Asked by Levi, Hudson, NH Fri Aug 14, 2009

Answers

7
Ken Lambert’s answer
Hi Levi- I agree with below. From a comfort/ use standpoint for you and for resale, adding the Bath to your fin. basmt is a worthwhile thing. For $5000, it is worth it. No question about it.

It is especially important if you have 2 or less bathrooms in your home currently. But if you already have 3 1/2 baths, adding another one isn't quite as critical to potential buyers... in my mind.
Thanks, and good luck,

Ken L.
2009 but still relevant......

I for one would consider a couple of factors before commiting to a major cellar conversion...and I would consider $5,000 for a bath a big investment.

In my opinion, whether or not there are windows in the basement, and outside access, or a secondary means of egress should always be considered prior to using a basement for anything other than what it was designed.

Hope people find this helpful.

From the "value" standpoint it may make sense if you are creating a nice living space there. Some owners install a bathroom in an unfinished basement which, in my opinion, adds no real value. Now, if you have a bright walk-out basement with some windows and you create a living space down there you can add value with a bath.

In actual fact, appraisers do not add much to the value of a home with a finished basement. What you should consider is how this will affect your quality of life while you live there. If it makes your life better, then do it.
This has a lot to do with where you live (I live in Tyngsboro, right over the border from Hudson). Bathrooms almost always increase the value of a home. And if you can find someone to build you a bathroom for 5 grand, call him back immediately, before he changes his mind!

As for the basement, just be careful. As someone mentioned below, finishing your basement for $30k will probably not add that much to the value of your home, but you dont have to spend that much. You can probably do it yourself for around $7500. Or you can call one of those basement finishing companies. Just don't go crazy if you're doing it to increase your home value.
Levi putting in a bathroom will always oncrease the value at least what you are paying to isntall it. As well the more important thing is the increase in desirability as well as the convenience for you and your family while you are living there. i say do it.... good luck with your project
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Levi, I have to disagree with James answer. In the case of a bathroom, I think you will regain the cost of building it at a minimum. You can now say yout home has 4 baths instead of 3, and it doesn't matter where that bathroom is located in any home to change its worth. It sure justifies a higher price tag on the open market!

Web Reference: http://www.abemills.com
Levi, you will never get back what you put into the basement so do what is to your liking. When I finished my basement I spent 30,000.00 and did not put in a bath or 1/2 bath. The expense did not add 30,000.00 to the value of my house but it sure is a nice place for the kids to have their friends and to watch movies.
do what you want in the basement for you and your family. Plan on staying in your home for a while and getting the value out of it for yourselves.
Web Reference: http://www.Find1Home.com