Carla Olivei…, Home Buyer in West Orange, NJ

I'm actively looking for a SF home in ridgewood or glen rock. Most of the homes I've seen require some renov

Asked by Carla Oliveira, West Orange, NJ Wed Mar 18, 2009

like kitchen, baths or exterior work (new siding). Can I assume that that professional home improvement cost have decreased recently and i'd be able to get a good deal?

Answers

6
Hi Carla,

Home improvement contractors are definitely hurting just like everyone else. By obtaining several competing bids and working them against each other, you should be able to make improvements at a reduced price from 2003-2005 levels. However, as we all know, it still will not be cheap...

-Marc

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director
Member, Worldwide ERC
Licensed Realtor NJ
Licensed Appraiser NJ & NY
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Agent of the Year 2008
Owner: Sands Appraisal Service, Inc.
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
web: http://www.marcpaolella.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 18, 2009
Hello Carla,
No, if anything building materials and the cost of home improvements have increased just like everything else.
However that does not mean that you cannot find a good deal. There are many homes on the market that are priced well. Some have been updated and some not. ........And remember Carla, a good agent will negotiate the best price for the home that you choose according to what the comps are to that particular house. Please contact me if you need an agent. Melanie
Guys,

This post is 18 months old. Carla has already bought something by now. Taxes are much higher in Ridgewood, but the location is more prestigious, and some people are looking for that.

-Marc
Hi Carla,

Is there any reason you are not looking in Wyckoff?

As far as home improvement, I asked a builder who came to my home as to why prices are so high in one neighborhood compared to other neighborhoods in the county and apparently there is some factor put into the equation. That is why I hate telling people where I live just to find out tradespeople are trying to bleed people in certain towns dry thinking we have money lying around.

My taxes in Wyckoff are 7,560 per year. Ridgewood is what...like 16k or a little lower on average? Glen Rock is probably in line with Wyckoff averages - not sure.
I am selling my home as a FSBO. The bathrooms and kitchen are all updated. The house is an Arts and Crafts style home on a terrific street. Total living space is approx. 2700sq ft. If you are interested you can see pictures and get more details on Craigs List. The price is $739,900.
Hello, Carla! How are you?
Yes, homes in Ridgewood and Glen Rock are still priced high, but accordingly to their condition (dated kitchens, baths etc). If homes were renovated the asking and the sale price would be higher. So, yes, you are making a deal, but again the current asking prices are right, so your deal is mostly because current market condition.
Yelena