Jump222, Home Owner in San Jose, CA

I live in campbell ca. in a 2 story townhouse. Should i get a 1 stage furnace or 2 stage?

Asked by Jump222, San Jose, CA Thu Feb 9, 2012

Answers

3
It's going to end up as a matter of choice and budget. We had a two story 2200 sq. ft. home with a 1 stage furnace and a/c. The heat wasn't an issue, however we always had issues with keeping the upstairs cool enough.

Get a some estimates and pick their brains on your townhouse pros, cons, pricing, etc.

All the best to you.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com

My understanding of a 2-stage furnace is that it has a low temp stage and a high temp stage. Most of the time it runs in the low temp stage and keeps the home a more even temperature. The high stage is used house if the heater has been off overnight or during the day when you are gone. We have anew 2-stage furnace and we really notice the difference from the old 1-stage furnace. Also, our gas usage dropped 30%. Our old heater was at least 25 years old. Be sure to talk with your heating professional for advise. They should be able to look at your home and recommend what is best for your needs. If you need the name of a good heating contractor, please contact me.

best wishes,
annie lang
If you're talking about dual zone heating & a/c, heat goes up as a rule of thumb. Unless your townhouse is over 2000 square feet, I would not spend the extra dollars. The dual zone a/c might be a welcome expense for you if you are sensitive in the summer months. Some of my clients have dual zone in a single family home and those are over 3000sf.