Remodel & Renovate in 60617>Question Details

Cristty229, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

I live in Chicago and I am having a garage built. I was told I can't have a garage 20 x 24 in the city. Is this true? Please Help!

Asked by Cristty229, Chicago, IL Tue Nov 3, 2009

Answers

5
Bill O'hara’s answer
you can go to a city of Chicago neighborhood office for help with a project of this size. They can tell you what permits you need and how much they cost. If you have a single family home to as much as a 6 flat, you can be your own general contractor. But you must make sure any contractor you hire has insurance.
600 sqft for frame
800 sqft for brick or fire rated assembly
Must meet all set back and lot size requirements
If your garage builder doesn't know these, he isn't a garage builder. All info is available on the City's website. Garage permit runs a few hundred dollars. Must have GC and electrical licenses.
Zoning and lot size are key.

You should discuss with an architect/permit consulting company. They can help you and make sure you get the appropriate permits/setbacks. etc.
What is your lot size and zoning? If you don't know what your zoning is for the property you can look it up on the city's web site. http://www.cityofchicago.org
That is not true, your garage can be as big as your lot size may allow by zoning.