Remodel & Renovate in 90049>Question Details

Jen, Home Buyer in 90049

I have just bought a home and I'm remodeling the guest bathroom (it's the only other bathroom besides the master bath).. Since it's

Asked by Jen, 90049 Wed Jun 1, 2011

not a very big space, I was thinking of taking out the bathtub and putting in a frameless glass shower stall, which I think would be more functional and attractive. But I've talked to friends and they said for resale vaule the bathtub is better as this way I have 2 full bathrooms. Any thoughts?

Answers

14
if this is a "family" home, the bathtub would be better. to accommodate children. If there is already a bathtub in the other bathroom, a frameless shower is more sophisticated and would add more value.
Jen:

Even though few people use them, it seem that everyone looks to make sure there is a tub in the house when they buy. I can't tell you how many times one of my buyers said this was the main reason they were not making an offer on an otherwise great home.

So ... if you plan to live there for a long time and really want to get rid of the tub, do this for yourself (not the resale value). If you do it right, you can always put a tub back in (or point out how a tub would fit in the space) when you go to sell.

Good luck with your new home purchase and Dare to Dream.

Shel-lee Davis, QSC®
Certified Distressed Property Expert – CDPE®
Short Sale & Foreclosure Resource – SFR®
Certified HAFA Specialist – CHS®
SSG Pro®
Your Real Estate Consultant for Life
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
424-2HELP12 (424-243-5712)
myrealestateanswers@gmail.com
http://shel-lee.listingbook.com
If you have a tub in the other bathroom, I see no problem with having a beautiful shower only in your hall/guest bath. The only point of consideration is if there are small children in the house or if when sold, there is no tub at all. This could be a problem for young families. You will be requiring the owner to "share" their tub area until little ones are old enough to take a shower before you have complete privacy for yourself. My rule of thumb is to consider how long YOU plan to live in the house before making a decision that involves re-sale over the way You plan to enjoy it.
I tend to lean towards the shower. I think it will modernize the space as well as give it a larger look. It may not translate into dollars, but it may give it a better "look" and feel. Also if you are living in the house for a while, which will be more functional for your uses? I would go with the option that "works" the best for you.
Dear Jen,
Yes two full bathrooms are valued higher then 1 and 3/4 bath would be...but...I think we do have to think about what we, as homeowners, want in a property as well when making these types of decisions. Normally a buyer will be looking at other things as well as the bathrooms, when making a decision about a home. If it is a choice between an older, not really functional batroom and a modern beautiful one with a frameless shower, I say the frameless wins.
It's a matter of opinion. I highly agree with Deborah as your first priority is to find the game plan.

I don't think it will hurt you to upgrade, I would consider the change in the master as opposed to the common bath because that will usually get more us by adults.

1 full bath as to 3/4 bath has really never influence the price.
From my experience a buyer's priority is:
Location
Layout
Condition

So if it is a nice upgrade, it will increase the value (condition) but if it is done cheaply, with plastic shower pans, etc. then keep the tub. If it is done right it will cost a bit for the shower ($5,000) and will look expensive and have a little wow factor which never hurts.
One thing to keep in mind is the kitchen. A nice kitchen is always more impressive than a nice bath.
good luck, and pull permits!
Hi Jen;
You can look at this two ways:
1. This is my home, and I bought it primarily to live in, not for resale. If that is the case, then choose the bathroom configuration that is most pleasing/ comfortable/ affordable to you. In that case, the bathtub goes, and Go Frameless, Baby!
2. This is an investment for me to live in for a short time, and move on, hopefully moving to my dream home by getting appreciation through improvements. If this is you, then consider who will be the buyer for your home, and make decisions based on their wants and needs. This is how the home builders and spec builders do it. Neighborhood with small children? Keep the tub. Move down older couples with empty nests? Shower is perfect, and sexier than a tub.
As you can see from the answers below, people will never agree on what is best in a bathroom, so it's really your decision.
Best of luck in your new home,
Deborah Bremner
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
REALTOR, 00588885, ABR, CDPE, eAgent, CSP, SFR, HRC, CRE
(O) 310-571-1364 DIRECT
(D) 818.564.6591
(C) 310-422-4288
http://www.thebremnergroup.com
Accredited Buyer Representative|Certified Distressed Property Expert |Pre-Foreclosure Specialist Certified
I want you to know that I appreciate any referrals from friends and associates who may be in the market to buy or sell real estate. You can count on me giving them the same high-quality service I provide to all of my clients.
Yes, technically while 2 full baths are better than 1 3/4, this is your home that you are living in. To be honest, it really won't make such a big difference regarding resale value. If you want to put the shower in and it looks better, I think others would have the same opinion and appreciate that you made that modification instead of trying to squeeze in a tub that isn't as functional anyway. Best of luck, Caroline
2 Full bathrooms are slightly better than 1 3/4 bathrooms... but it all depends on the overall look of the house... if you have good taste (applicable to the average individual) then go for it...
Go with practicability and functionality, how much $$$$ difference could it be? No big deal.
Web Reference: http://www.CAcertified.com
Since there is another tub i vote for an attractive shower vs a too tight tub.
Hi Jen,
If the neighborhood is primarily first time home buyers or young families, I would suggest leaving the tub. If it's a retiree or urban/dual-income-no-kids area, the shower is a much better idea. First time home buyers generally would want the tub for bathing kids if they are planning on raising a family there.
Hope that helps!
Lauren Case
Hi Jen-
All things being equal, a full bath is better for resale. You say the space is small, so how much space will you really gain by removing the tub? If you are planning on remodeling, I suggest replacing the tub with a newer, fancier tub so you have an updated bathroom AND you have better resale value. Feel free to contact me with any further questions. Good luck.

Joseph Montemarano
Partners Trust Real Estate
Brentwood
(310) 500-1353
I would agree with you, that it sounds better to have a shower and a little room, than a tub with no room.
I would say that the difference beween the resale w/shower or w/tub would be negligable, but
if you are planning on staying there a while, and you want a shower; put in a shower. That is one of the reasons why you wanted to own a house.