Remodel & Renovate in Denver>Question Details

Jonathan, Both Buyer and Seller in 80205

I have been fixing up a place I bought and am wondering about the certificate of occupancy process.

Asked by Jonathan, 80205 Sun Jan 17, 2010

Do I need to have all the flooring down, walls painted, etc. before starting or is it something i can get moving once all the rough inspections on elec, plmb, etc. are done and the drywall is up and inspected? Does the process take long? Or can I get it moving so I can get my re-financing started before absolutely everything is in? Thank you.

Help the community by answering this question:


I would call your building department and ask them exactly what they need to issue the CO.
They will usually provide you with a list, and this way you won't get the run around from your inspectors.
Here in CA every town I work in is different.
Some will sign it off early, others want the whole house complete.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 19, 2010
Jonathan, Congratulations on your remodel. Your getting some Great answers above from the ones in the know!

From a contractor's perspective specifically a Drywall & Painting Contractor's experience, Drywall and Painting does fall into CO if leading institution has those amounts set aside. However, one can normally save 15-20% from an occupied one, as it makes the interior painting process more fluid, adding ease of movement within the interior. Usually, if replacing flooring, painting comes first, then carpet / flooring. Carpet installers are getting very careful these days, not scratching baseboards, installing new carpet, and sometimes only minimal. If you are hiring the painting out, best to find a painting contractor who does not mind coming back to do any touch-ups that possibly the carpet installers have done, as slight as they may be.

If this is your personal residence, hopefully, priming drywall before and after texture is included, allowing the best textures and painting to happen, sealing the walls and ceilings for the paint to give the most uniform appearance. Priming before and after texture is not a building standard, although is indeed the best, if for yourself. Building standard is priming after texture and before finish coats. Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 18, 2010
In order to get your CO, the home must pass be "habitable" and is in compliance with building codes. You must have a functioning kitchen and at least one functioning bathroom. Most finish items are not required in order to receive your CO. However, if there are items on your permits that have not been completed, aside from the items just mentioned, you may be given a Temporary CO. Check with the building department to see if your project would qualify.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 17, 2010
To get your C.O. all work must be completed and all inspections must be done and signed off on . When all permits are signed off then you can get your C.O. Please consult your local building dept about this process. Yes, ALL work must be done.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 17, 2010
Hi Jonathan,

The certificate would not be issued if the property violates any building codes, and is not in usable condition. However, some inspectors may authorize issuance of the certificate of occupancy when the work has not been completed, with the understanding that the contractor will finish the work. This is when the property is very close to completion and is in useable condition and the work needing to be completed is minor.

I hope this helps. I specialize in your neighborhood and would be glad to contact you about special deals that come up. If this sounds interesting to you, contact me at the information below.

Ethan Besser
Broker Associate
Keller Williams - DTC
Cell: 303.856.8980
Fax: 303.221.2289

The Besser Choice in Real Estate!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 17, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer