Remodel & Renovate in 95818>Question Details

Jeff, Home Owner in 95818

I have a 3/1 Tudor in Curtis Park Sacramento, CA I was thinking of converting a bedroom to a master bath is this a good idea?

Asked by Jeff, 95818 Thu Jul 14, 2011

I live in a older home in a nice neighborhood but it only has one bathroom. If I were to convert one of the bedrooms into a larger closet and bathroom would that dramatically effect the ability to sell my home and the value? Im not planning on moving for a couple of years but would hate to eliminate potential buyers

I posted this on a different post but I have used a contractor for many of my flip homes that has altered homes to help me sell them. He could help you figure out prices and the approximate increase in value. He has helped me a lot and thats why I am giving his info out. He has added an extra bathroom in one of my places and it helped things along in a sale.

I have had two homes remodeled (added a bathroom and redid the kitchen in one and the other redid both bathrooms and added an extra dining area and completly remodeled the kitchen and fireplace and the best and lowest bid I found for both jobs was a local contractor. He did great work, but I had to wait to get the second job done because he had a list of clients waiting for him (probably the low prices and the attention to detail, the tiles were all hand finished and it was amazing in the end esp for the price).

He would probably be able to come out and give you an estimate incase you were interested his number was 801-494-4924. Only thing I have noticed is he doesnt check his voice mail messages unless he recognizes the number and so call until you get ahold of him in person, I seriously would recommend him. that is his e-mail and his name was James. Id go with him again so Id at least get him to get you an estimate because I have had some terrible work done by others that charged more and Ive never had issues with his work actually having him come in and fix the work a previous contractor did on a house I am flipping. Godd luck. and an extra bathroom always helps, I had him add one too.

I live in Land Park and work in Curtis Park as well. I have found that people looking in the LP/Curtis Park area want 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Some people are willing to buy a 3/1 if there is room to add an another bath. 2/2 are difficult depending on how they are done. Depending on your floor plan, if you could keep the 3rd bedroom and find a way to make just a half bath or a smaller master bath with a stall shower, I think would be great. I hope that helps and good luck!
Hi Jeff, Sent you bad links. Here's a copy:

Hot new-home trends for 2011
Practicality is in, as homebuilders cater to buyers' changing wants and needs.
By Christopher Solomon of MSN Real Estate

MSN Real Estate is social
Check out our blog, 'Listed'
Become a fan on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
The housing market may be down, but it's not out. Houses continue to be built across the nation, especially homes aimed at first-time buyers. But the Great Recession has limited the bells and whistles that many people demanded under their new roof even four years ago. Would-be homebuyers want — and are getting — different things from "home sweet home" today.

From front porches to LED lights, here are the top six things experts say are trendy in new homes for 2011. How does next year's wish list compare to yours?

1. Smaller homes that 'live' the same
"One big trend is the smaller homes," says David Barista, editor-in-chief of Professional Builder and Custom Builder magazines. In fact, the median size of new U.S. homes fell from 2,277 square feet in 2007 to 2,135 square feet in 2009, according to the National Association of Home Builders.

"There's a couple drivers here," Barista says. "I don't think buyers are looking for that opulence of several years ago; they're looking for something more modest. (But) they still want the amenities and the spaces" in these smaller homes.

So he's not seeing the number of rooms in a home being cut; instead, the size of the rooms — and the overall home size — is shrinking 10% to 15%. That, of course, also brings down the price, which is key in a market in which new houses are competing against foreclosures.

MSN Money: Shopping for a home? Estimate your credit scores
Despite that shrinkage, Barista says homeowners still want nice touches such as quality faucets, higher-end appliances and granite countertops in that smaller kitchen.

2. The old front porch, revisited
Front and side porches are making a comeback, says Kermit Baker, chief economist for the American Institute of Architects, which performs a quarterly Home Design Trends Survey. One reason is simple: Front porches help create a sense of community, something that more traditional suburbs lack.

What’s out there? Homes under $250,000
Date:6/10/2011Duration: 006:0032Video By: TODAY
June 10: TODAY real estate contributor Barbara Corcoran talks about houses around the country you can get in today’s market for under $250,000.
More Videos
But something else is driving the interest in front porches, Baker says. Thanks to the recession and the soft housing market, homebuilders have sharply curtailed their construction of big, self-standing communities of hundreds or even thousands of homes. Instead, they're doing more "in-fill," adding dollops of homes here and there among existing homes. Porches can help integrate these homes with the existing community, Baker says.

Efficiency takes many forms, from builders adding insulation in the walls, to better windows with glazing and higher "R-value" — or insulation ability — to sealed ductwork that doesn't leak air, to Energy Star-rated appliances throughout the home. Some builders are even installing low-energy LED lights for accent lighting, Barista says.

"There is a premium that (builders are) paying for these products," Barista says, "but they're doing their best not to pass along all the cost to the consumers."

Ideal Homes is one of many builders now offering a guarantee on ongoing energy savings for homeowners for their new home. The builder "does the math" on the savings for buyers, estimating their savings as part of the sale process.

"Multiple large national builders, including Beazer Homes and Meritage Homes, are now offering energy-efficient homes, some as standard (no premium cost to the buyer) and many rated or certified through third-party programs," Barista says, such as Energy Star or the National Green Building Program.

Browse new homes for sale
The trend is less about consumer demand and more about builders needing to stay competitive, not only with other homebuilders but also with existing homes and foreclosures.

4. No 'upstairs, downstairs' drama
Single-story homes remain popular, according to the AIA. Why? It's simple: As the baby boomers age, such homes are easier for older folks to navigate. They're also easier for aged friends or parents to visit, too.

5. The downscaled kitchen and bath
Our desire for big kitchens and bathrooms ballooned during the boom years, and homebuilders were happy to oblige. That's changing.

"Functionality is now preferred to more and larger kitchens and bathrooms within U.S. homes," Baker wrote earlier this year. "But since kitchens remain the nerve center of the home, doing more with less space is a key consideration."
I'd like to take a somewhat bolder stance. As a general contractor and developer for the past 25 years and a RE broker and investor please indulge me for a moment.

First, the fact that you are only targeting out two years or so is somewhat of a concern inasmuch as no one really knows what the RE market condition will be. So the more money you pump into your home the longer it will take to revisit your investment dollars. Hence, you may want to consider a longer stay. Especially if you're going to the expense of designing a home for your comfort and enjoyment. It may actually grow on you and you might decide to extend your stay.

Second, having said that I don't think I read an answer that addressed desirability, personal comfort and enjoyment and affordability. If you truly desire a little more personal comfort and enjoyment and can afford it without the concern or need to necessarily realize an optimum ROI then by all means go for it. Lot's of folks are doing that today.

Third, in our North San Diego Coastal RE market, and I realize you're in NorCal and RE is a local condition, thousands of homes were built as vacation or 2nd homes and were quite often only 2-1's, 2-2's and even 3-1's. Many folks, and my son was one of them, gutted and/or rearranged their interior without the need to expand their footprint.

In '06 my son purchased an 850sf 2-1 bungalow a 1/2 block from the beach, gutted it and added a new kitchen, flooring, built a loft in one of the bedrooms adding an additional 1/2 bedroom, built a beautiful full sized master bath and still had room left over for a nice sized guest bath with a generous shower area.

He just sold it earlier this year and even in this market managed to make a reasonable ROI. He actually sold it to a family from Arizona looking for a beach cottage for under $1,000,000. Guess what they found it. My son was happy to sell it to them for $999,750 and they were tickled to own it.

Fourth, what I haven't heard anyone else mention is the tremendous demographic shift taking place in today's RE market Nationwide. In the next 15 to 20 years there will be about 7 to 10 thousand baby boomers reaching retirement each and every day and I'm one of them.

Many if not most of them are looking to downsize. They only need a 2-2 or maybe a 3-1 with room for an in home office, study, den, etc. In fact a lot of interesting polls have come about during the past couple of years trending towards smaller and more modest homes.

Home builders and developers are introducing smaller homes. e.g. Take a moment to read and watch the video in this link:

Personally, I think you're on the right track. Do whatever gives you warm fuzzies. It's great to get such broad cross section of opinions and philosophies from such a great forum and from so many very qualified and experienced RE professionals. But in the end it's all about you having the opportunity to fully enjoy and maximize your RE investment and living experience.

Fifth and final, It's all about marketing in the end. When you do get ready to sell your home you simply contract with a savvy and experienced RE marketeer. Find someone who know how to reach out to the demographic conducive to your home and neighborhood. It might be one of those baby boomer retiree couples. Or perhaps a young childless couple just getting started.

Good luck and have fun with your home. I love Tudors.
I'd like to expand a little on the comment from John Arenden in Escondido. He said a 3/1 is not a popular scenario, and he is correct. I live in Land Park and sell in Land Park / Curtis Park. I can tell you that most buyers -- unless they are entry level and can't afford more -- want 2 baths in 95818. If you don't have 2 baths, buyers might not even consider your home at all.

I sold a short sale a few years ago that had originally sold over $600,000 in 2005. It was a Tudor with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath. Seller relocated. I urged him to put in a bath. Got a bid. Could have removed a closet and put in a bath for $12,000. Nope, didn't wanna do it. So the home sold as a short sale. There was a deficiency, and he had to pay back $100,000 to the bank.

When I bought my home in Land Park, I wanted a 3 bedroom / 2 bath. Couldn't find one that met my other criteria, like a garage and a huge yard, so I gave up that extra bedroom to get a home with a family room plus a second bath. Those second baths are a huge factor.

Elizabeth Weintraub
Broker-Associate #00697006
Lyon Real Estate
Jeff, All to often home owners make the mistake of thinking they will get a dollar for dollar return on their remodeling investments; however, the reality is that it is often more like fifty cents on the dollar. I would advise you to leave well enough alone; however, make sure that your home is show case ready when it is time to sell.

If market conditions warrant that more buyers want a second bath in your home when it is time to sell, you and your selected agent could always list your property at a potential FHA 203K home which would allow the buyer to finance renovation into their loan.

Best of luck to you!
It really depends if in the area where the house is, 2 bedrooms homes are desirable or not. I recently represented a buyer in the purchasing of a home that had been converted from 3-1 to 2-2 plus large closet. Either combination would have been typical of the coastal area where the house is located. I agree with Teri , that since you are planning to live for a short time in this home, it might not be cost-effective project in the current real estate market.
Web Reference:
I want to zero in on your question "would that dramatically effect the ability to sell my home and the value?". YES it will and it will considerably negatively affect the size of potential buyers. Based on your specific scenario, I will say, not a good idea. It is in fact detrimental to your short and long term finances.
3/1's are not the most popular scenario to work with. I personally think you'd probably be better off. But then that's my opinion.
Anytime you have at least a 3 bedroom, is big in resale.
Web Reference:
Build to suit your living needs and desires. It is a home, first and foremost. There is no guarantee on ROI for home additions and improvements. In general, more bedrooms or more of anything will increase your buyer population. I would correct inadequacies before adding. Humbly, Jay.
Web Reference:
My opinon: I don't think it would be a good idea. At least with a 3/1 someone could use the 3rd bedroom as an office. If you are only going to stay a couple of more years it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle and expense. If you were going to stay forever and the extra bathroom would make you happy I would say go for it, but it looks like you are planning on moving anyway. 1 bathrooms are common to the area.

Focus on making sure the home is in good working order, good roof, paint, carpet/flooring, curb appeal, 2 years goes by in no time, save your money.
Eliminating a bedroom is not something I would recommend. While having a true master (I'm assuming this is your goal) is always good, a 2bd home will eliminate a lot of families who need that 3rd bedroom. Do you have room for an addition? It may be more expensive, but usually a better option for resale as you won't be losing anything and you will be gaining sq footage and functionality.
I wouldn't do it. Why don't you just add on? You'll enhance marketability to create a three bedroom, 2 bath over a 2 bedroom, 2 bath. Part of it depends on square footage and layout. How large is your home?

Elizabeth Weintraub
Broker-Associate #00697006
Lyon Real Estate