Danuta, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

I convert garage to recreation room without permit, ???what I have to do ?

Asked by Danuta, Los Angeles, CA Thu Jul 30, 2009

I didnt know we need permit, what about penalty ? is any ?

Answers

7
Did you already do the job??? If not the answer is NO.

If you did the work....

depending on the inspector, treat him good he's the one that post the fine or adjust it from only a few bucks up to about $500.00

DON'T USE IGNORANCE OF THE LAW THAT YOU DID NOT KNOW YOU NEEDED A PERMIT IT WILL ONLY ANGER HIM, AND THAT IS A LINE THEY HEAR ALL DAY LONG. IT RANKS UP THERE TO I ONLY HAD TWO BEERS OFFICER.

Were you cited??????

1- If so then be honest. and apologize, do not try to BS THEM in any manner.

2- if you were not cited go to the B&S tell them you want to pay for a garage conversion permit and request an immediate inspection that you want to know what it will take to bring it up to code.

Tony P
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 10, 2010
Mr. Perez,

I have a question to regards to recreational rooms. I got a noticed from the City Inspector here in Van Nuys. AM I allow to have a bed in my recreational room? I am Traveling Notary and I used that room to do my paperwork and relax, I am have breast lumps that are not good and fighting them and having biopsies and all kinds of treatment. Sometimes when I feel tired I take a nap there better than in my house having two teens. Do I have to get my bed out of there? I am terrified and I just had a biopsy last week. I know is my neighbor calling the city in retaliation of me taking her to small claims because her dog almost killed my dog and she didn't want to be responsible for the bill. I lived here 20 years and never never had a problem with anyone of my neighbors. If I had been working I wouldn't had argue with here and I would had bitten the bullet. Please help me to answer my question so if I can't have a bed I can ask my neighbor to get it out for me. Thank you
Flag Tue May 28, 2013
I would talk with the city and planning dept and ask some questions about what you can and cannot do, and how to go about it.

I would not tell them what you did at first, or give your adress because they may make you tear it all down.

"Tap"
Cashin Company
http://www.DavidTapper.com
http://www.TeamTappper.com
Redt4u@aol.com
650-403-6252
Get a permit, have it inspected and at the same time get a permit and build a carport, you have your extra room and the added equity.

It is easy to do a garage conversion for a rec room, the inspector will probably fine you $400.00 take out a permit and have you make some small holes to see the framing and insulation, etc. unless it was done by the Three Stooges I would not worry too much we do this kind repair all the time.
Tony P.
Any improvements made to a property that is not permitted and legal, can not be considered as having any contributory value to the overall market value of the property.

If the improvements are substantial in cost and time, it could be a significant loss of value, like a room addition.

If the garage can be returned to it's original status, without major demo, it will not damage the rest of the property value. If not, not only will you lose the contributory value, but you could incur a reduction in value of the rest of the improvements.

Permitting penalties vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, some agencies get vindicative.
I would recommend going to the city and getting a permit for it. As was mentioned below, the inspector may come out and make you open up some of the finished work, which can be tough and expensive. It is always good to have everything done with permits so that you know the work is "to code" and if you ever go to sell this will help when showing potential buyers your property.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Grant Linscott
323.333.6222 cell
grantlinscottproperty@gmail.com
Go to your city hall and ask the building permit department what are the conditions of use and what is allowed and not.

Jes Sierra, B.Sc., Realtor®
http://www.hellomynameisjes.com
LA is not my turf so I'm sort of guessing but usually the cost of the permit penalty will be at least as large as the permit fee plus the cost of engineered plans that require inspections of the construction process - that means opening up the finished work. It gets pretty expensive. I doubt that it will hit you until you try to sell unless someone reports you.

Understand that permits are required because when you change the livable square footage the taxes change, that is besides the health and safety issues of construction methods and materials. When you sell you can't legally claim that finished garage as part of the square footage because it isn't permitted and the problem may turn away prospective buyers.